Chapter 26.5

• Dedicated to Shawn-Marie Bradley

Jess returned to his room, slammed the door so hard the floor shook, and locked it. For a few seconds he stared at the piles of boxes, one of his hands drawn into a fist, the other distractedly rubbing the back of his neck. When a loud crash from somewhere in the warehouse startled him, he jerked and lifted his head. A furtive expression crossed his face, and he quickly dropped the hand that was rubbing his neck, as though he'd caught been doing something wrong.

His ears pricked up, straining to hear. The low murmur of Cacee's voice reached him and he relaxed. Something had clearly broken in the main room. Again. But Cacee was obviously okay. His hands drew into fists once more but now the gesture looked defeated rather than angry. He leaned his forehead against the wall, closed his eyes, and crossed his arms over the back of his head.

For a second he'd been certain Cacee would say yes. And then her face changed, and he'd known she was remembering something that happened between them. He didn't know what it was but he could tell the memory caused her pain.

He banged his forehead against the wall. Jesus. How had he managed to hurt the one person he would do anything to protect? He'd seen the flash of cynicism that crossed her face right before she shoved past him. Seen it and hated himself for putting it there. He should've never started anything with her. He always knew it would end badly. He knew he would hurt her, but he did it anyway. So what the hell made him think he deserved her forgiveness?

Scratch. Scratch. Scratch. Jess's head lifted at the familiar sound and some of his stress eased as he went to open his bedroom door. Shane trotted in and, when Jess flopped onto the mattress, the small dog hopped into his lap and began fervently licking his hands.

Jess sighed. "You steered me wrong. She didn't talk to me."

Shane let out a low whine and licked faster, as if trying to make up for his bad advice.

Jess buried his hand in the soft scruff of fur around Shane's neck and asked, "What now?"

Shane thumped his tail.

The corner of Jess's mouth lifted a little. "You want me to wag my tail at her?"

Shane's tail wagged furiously, as if he thought this would be an excellent idea.

A knock on the door wiped the smile from Jess's face. He sighed loudly as Ray called, "I need to get in there."

Jess turned from the door and resumed petting Shane. A minute went by.

Ray again: "I said I need to get in there."

Jess rolled Shane over on his back to give the dog a tummy rub. Another minute passed.

"Open the door, kid."

Jess closed his eyes and leaned back on his pillow, still aimlessly running his hand through Shane's fur. Fifteen more seconds passed.

"Goddamn it, kid. If you don't open the door, I'm breaking it down. You've got till I count to ten. One. Two."

Jess yawned and eyed the door, weighing his options. On one hand, it would be highly entertaining to watch dumbfuck break it down. On the other, his only privacy would be destroyed. Crap. He remained lying down until Ray got to seven. Then, with a loud sigh, Jess dragged himself to his feet. Stretched.

"Eight. Nine."

He shuffled across the room and undid the lock with a low click. Not bothering to wait for Ray's reaction, he returned to his bed, sat down and picked up Shane.