Chapter 11

Jess got slowly to his feet, trying to not show how unsteady he still was. He felt like a pumpkin someone had carved out and left to rot. He watched as Cacee dug in her pockets before checking through her backpack for money. She pulled out a few pennies, her toothbrush, a travel tube of toothpaste, her keys, some floss—which he made sure to tease her about—a hairbrush, her slingshot, a pen, a notepad and a pair of gray shorts.

He leaned against the wall, ignoring the smell of mildewed urine for the sake of staying on his feet. "That's it, huh? Nothing else?"

Cacee shook her head and asked worriedly, "Now what?"

"I'm not sure. But I need to eat, and I'll bet you do to. It's not like normal hungry. It's like whatever we...whatever happened...sucked everything out of me."

Cacee nodded. "Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm so hungry I feel sick."

They both looked at Shane, who crunched another grungy pizza crust. Their eyes met, and they shook their heads at the same time.

Jess said, "Food aside, we need someplace to stay until we can figure out what happened and how to get back."

He tried to sound upbeat, but heard the doubt and despair that made his words droop. His only knowledge of time-travel had been gleaned from repeated viewings of The Terminator series. Not exactly helpful.

He looked at Cacee. She was pretty much a walking, talking encyclopedia. No matter how obscure the subject, he had yet to find something she hadn't read about. If he got her fed and relaxed she might be able to come up with a theory that would help them figure out how to get back. Okay. Time to focus on the basics. Food and shelter, those were the most important things right now.

He wiped his hands on his pants and looked around the alleyway. He knew what he had to do; he didn't have a choice. But he did not want to do it in front of Cacee. He couldn't leave her here alone though. Unless she hid. He pointed to a cardboard-filled dumpster, "How about I walk you down there and you crouch behind it and--"

"No! Don't leave! Take me with you." Cace looked so panic-stricken that he instantly regretted his suggestion.

He took her hand. "Okay. I won't leave."

She gripped him. "You promise?"

"I promise. I'll stay right where you can see me."

She loosened up and said quietly, "Sorry."

"Don't be. I understand." He squeezed her hand, trying to be comforting. She'd damn near killed him when she'd fallen apart; he could face anything but her tears. It was those tears that had made him stupidly promise to get her home. She'd been calmer ever since though. He had no idea where she'd gotten the abundance of faith she seemed to have in him. It sucked to know he'd undoubtedly let her down.

She inched closer to him and asked, "So, where did you want to go?"

He looked at the scum-crusted puddles. "We need money, Cace. You get that, right?"

"Of course." She scowled, like the stubborn Cacee he was used to. "I'm not stupid."

"Good. Then let me get some money, okay?"

Her face turned wary. "What are you going to do?"

He frowned. "Does it matter?"

Her eyebrows shot up. "Yeah, it does."

"Jesus, Cace. I'm not gonna kill someone. Just ...borrow some of their cash."

She bit her lip. "How?"