Chapter 25.5

Ray's voice: "Sweetheart? Can I get some towels?"

Jess blinked. Swayed. Threw his hand out to steady himself on the bathroom door before he landed on his ass. His head wobbled. His knees felt loose and liquefied. He dropped into a sitting position and leaned against the wall, trying to stop shuddering.

The water was off. But he hadn't seen Ray turn it off. He'd specifically been hoping Ray couldn't turn it off. He let out a low sound of pain and rubbed his temples, trying to block the sharp bolts of fire zapping the sides of his head. What the hell just happened? Tremors began running up and down his arms. Did he...do something?

Jess's throat clamped shut and his breath turned to short, rasping gasps. His hands closed around his arms, squeezing them to his sides so hard that later, he would find bruises on his biceps. His head shook  in an unfelt expression of acute denial.

And then--.

His body relaxed all at once. His eyes drifted shut as a low voice in his mind whispered this was stupid. Nothing happened. He was sick, that's all. He'd gotten momentarily distracted and missed Ray shutting off the water. He didn't need to worry about this. All he needed to focus on right now was talking to Cacee. Nothing mattered but Cacee.

The strength came back into Jess's legs. The pain in his head eased. For the first time in days, he was neither freezing nor overheated. The low ache in his bones lingered, along with a nagging sense of weakness but, overall, he felt better.

His head jerked up as Cacee opened the bathroom door. She held a stack of towels.  Jess jumped to his feet. Time to make her forgive him.