Chapter 3.5

PLEASE STOP READING OVER HERE!!! 

LAST NOTICE: IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN READING THE FINISHED VERSION OF THIS BOOK, YOU MUST COPY AND PASTE THIS LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER AND READ IT ON SWOON READS!!!  https://www.swoonreads.com/m/skipping-time/

***

Jess looked at Shane. The little dog's butt was in the air, his tail wagging madly, his whole body positioned for take-off, eager to chase the elusive stick.

Cacee smiled. "I did warn you."

Jess rubbed his arm. "After it was already in the air. Besides, you didn't warn me your dog would expect to fetch five-billion times in a row." Cacee laughed and Jess grinned and threw the stick again. It was amazing he'd been with her this long and hadn't screwed anything up. The more time he spent with her, the easier it became.

It didn't hurt how much he liked looking at her. It wasn't just the pale skin and those twilight eyes. Or the mist of freckles across her nose and cheeks. Or the way her hair glinted red in the sunlight and looked so soft he wanted to bury his hands in it. It was the sharp intelligence in those pretty eyes. How easy it was to make her smile. The unselfconscious way she laughed and how she'd hit those targets like it was nothing and how she dressed in jeans and a gray hoodie instead of form-fitting designer clothes.

Shane woofed at him to throw the damn stick again. Cacee laughed. Jess turned and smiled at her. He liked how warm he felt when she smiled back. It had been so long since he'd found a girl attractive he'd started thinking Chloe permanently fucked him up. Apparently he'd just needed a couple years to bounce back. And Cacee seemed like the perfect girl to bounce back with. Sweet. Innocent. Safe. She hadn't mentioned a boyfriend either, not even when he'd fished for information.

Shane barked. Jess looked at the little dog. Shane had dropped the stick at his feet again. The pup's tail still whipped back and forth as he eyed it intently. Jess laughed. "Your dog needs professional help. Some Zoloft or Paxil. A few years of therapy? Something."

Cacee giggled, which was enough to make him throw the stick again

By the time Shane was worn out, a good twenty minutes later, Jess's arm was sore. The pup curled up at Cacee's feet and Jess took advantage of Shane's position to move closer and pet him.

He'd only just leaned down when Cacee's eyes widened and her hands flew over her mouth.

Jess was on his feet, fists up, before he'd even thought about it. More than once today he'd heard weird crap, sensed eyes burning into the back of his head. Now he scanned the dark trees for a threat. It took him a second to feel Cacee tugging on his T-shirt. His eyes dropped to her but Cacee wasn't looking at him. She said, "It's okay. It's nothing bad. Just look!"

He followed the line of her gaze and saw a squirrel, a few feet from the log where she sat. The little guy kept taking tiny steps, closer and closer.

Shane jumped to his feet and Cacee ordered, "Sit, Shane. Stay quiet." Shane immediately sat.

Jess followed suit. Jesus. Why did he jump up like that? Talk about making an ass out of himself. Cacee's eyes were huge as she whispered, "Do you see how close he's getting? What is he doing? Look how cute he is!"

Instead of looking at the squirrel, Jess looked at her. Cacee's cheeks were flushed with excitement, her eyes wide. The tension eased from him. Chances were, she'd been so caught up in the squirrel she hadn't fully noticed his reaction. Beside him, Cacee fidgeted, like an excited little kid. He smiled, looking from her, to the squirrel who now stood less than two feet away. She didn't seem the type who'd tell. Still though, he probably shouldn't.