Chapter 15 and 3/4

Cacee watched as Jess hit the ground face forward and landed in a puddle. She didn't remember climbing back down the fence. One second she sat at the top, the next she knelt at Jess's side, lifting his face and rolling him over, careful to turn his head so the rain wouldn't run into his mouth.

She couldn't tell if he was breathing. "Jess, Jess!" She laid her hand on his neck, struggling to find a pulse over the driving rain. Shane began licking Jess's face, and she reassured herself that Shane wouldn't be licking him if Jess had died from some kind of internal injury because Shane would know. Then everything muddled up and she forgot about Shane and started trying to find a pulse again.

All the while, a muffled voice in the background grew louder. Then hands were closing on her arms, trying to pull her away. She kicked savagely. The voice became louder still, but the words sounded alien. An arm went around her waist, dragging her away from Jess. She turned, her fists flying. She felt them connecting, but hands were still on her. She threw one last punch and then struggled away and flung her arms around Jess, determined to shield him from whoever was trying to hurt him.

"Cacee! Stop! Let him go!"

She kicked out again.

Crack! Cacee's head jerked back and her hand lifted to her stinging cheek. She stared numbly at the man now crouched in front of her. His face was frantic. Her face stung. Had he hit her? 

He babbled, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry, sweetheart! Look at me. C'mon, honey. It's Ray, remember?"

Her head lifted, and she tried to focus but most of her mind remained preoccupied with whether or not Jess was breathing.

Ray said, "He'll be okay. But you have to let go of him! We have to get out of here before they come back!"

She turned to check on Jess again because making sure he was alive seemed a lot more important than anything Ray had to say.

"He's okay, honey! But they'll kill him if they come back. Do you understand me? They'll kill him, Cacee!"

That got through. She stumbled away from Jess and stood.

Ray picked Jess up like he weighed nothing and slung him over his shoulder.

Flash.

Standing, Shane in the bag on her shoulder.

Flash.

Climbing the fence, one leg almost useless, watching Ray climb behind her.

Flash.

Splashing through the puddles, her eyes glued to Jess's head, lolling like a rag doll against Ray's back.

Flash.

Inside now.

Flash.

Dark.

Flash.

A nightmare funhouse of doors and passages, some outside, some in, always following the white cast of Jess's face.

Flash.

Down endless steps.

Flash.

Down.

Down.

Flash.