Chapter 18

Once at Jess's bed, Cacee put the water and medicine on his headboard. He still slept, but he moaned often and, when she checked, his forehead was even hotter than before. Wow. She completely sucked. She should've checked on him way before now. 

Shane leaned up from his spot at Jess's side and licked her hand. She ruffled his ears and murmured, "Good dog, Shane. Good boy." At least her dog was trying to take care of Jess. Shane let out a contented sigh and snuggled back into Jess's side.

She transferred her hand from her pup's head to Jess's. "Jess? Jess? Wake up."

He tossed his head.

"Jess. Come on, wake up now."

He whispered, "Water."

She lifted him carefully and like before, he gulped it. She admonished, "Slow down. Don't make yourself sick. I have medicine for you."

Jess took the Advil and lay back obediently, which worried her more. She twisted her bracelet. Where was his normal argument about being fine?

His eyes opened, focused on her and enough heat came into them to scorch the blanket she sat on as he said, "I was dreaming about you."

The temperature of her face warmed as predictably as a stove. "Good dreams, I hope."

Jess gave her a smile that, even in his current state, made him impossibly cute. "Very good dreams."

She blushed hotter, which made him laugh, which turned into a wracking cough. By the time he finished, he was sweating and gasping for air. He gulped the rest of the water and rasped, "Is there a bathroom here?"

She nodded. "Yeah, through the kitchen. I'll help you."

Shane let out a low grunt of protest as Jess pushed himself up, letting his feet hang over the bed. Jess gave her pup a quick scratch before gesturing to the gray sweat pants he wore. "How did I get these on?"

She tried to sound unconcerned. "Ray put them on you."

Jess scowled but, just as fast, flashed her a grin. "Did you help?"

She smiled. "No, sorry. I was--" She didn't want to tell him she'd been too panic-stricken to remember even arriving here. She finished quickly, "Getting changed myself."

Jess's eyes travelled up and down her slowly. "Flannel and turtles, hmmm? You couldn't have found a nice silk nightgown or something? Preferably low cut?"

She tried to duck her head to hide behind her still-damp hair, but wasn't fast enough.

Jess tucked the strands behind her ears while laughing. "I can't believe I forgot you're so prone to blushing.  I should have been doing this for months."

The words came before she could help it. "If you remembered, you would've been  shamelessly flirting with me for months? I seriously doubt that." Even now, she didn't quite believe Jess had decided she was girlfriend material.

Jess put his arm around her and spoke in her ear. "You're so wrong. You've been driving me crazy since the instant we met, Cace. Those pretty eyes were all full of tears and I took one look into them...and...that was it." He gave her a glance that somehow managed to be both sexy and shy before letting his mouth graze her neck. When he pulled away, his eyes didn't quite meet hers, but he left his arm around her shoulders.

She did her best to control how shaky her breathing was. She wasn't sure how she'd be able to help him get up, as her legs were now so weak she seriously doubted they'd hold her. God. He barely kissed her, but she still felt it in every nerve-ending she possessed. She could practically hear the emergency memo from her brain: