The Last Day

Danny's POV

The one time I decide to arrive at this damn event, HE decides to come. The damned rich bitch of the hour, HOWARD STARK.

He deserved that slap that I gave him. Luckily I didn't hit him where on his 'you-know-what' but I didn't want to get kicked out on my first time.

"Danny, wait!" Great. The last person I really wanted to see today. I don't respond and keep on walking, hoping he would just leave me alone. I mean, I wouldn't mind talking to him but I had to keep away from guys like him. 

"Hey, wait up." I feel a hand grab my shoulders and I quickly grab it and twist it in an unpleasant angle. 

"Ow. Ow. Hey! Danny, it's me, Bucky." He look up to find him staring at me with those electric blue eyes. I release my grip on his hand hastily trying to walk off. Bucky caught my wrist before I could even move a flinch.

"Please don't go. It's nice to see you decided to come today. You look -" '

"Beautiful? Ravishing? Pretty?" I try to pull my hand from his grip but he wouldn't let go.

"Don't fool yourself, Barnes. It's just embarrassing." From the corner of my eye, I can see him raise an eyebrow.

"Is there something wrong telling a lovely lady that they look beautiful, or as you say 'ravishing'" He mimicks my voice and I have to say, I was trying very hard not to laugh at this point but I couldn't help it.   

As I stand there laughing, out of control, I can hear Bucky joining me. There we were standing like 2 idiots, laughing at what looked like nothing at all. 

Bucky pulls me into his broad chest as he traps me in his hold. His arms around my waist, he buries his head in my now-messy hair. What he said next, it caught me out of the blue.

"I love you." He holds me even more tighter. At this point, I should have broken my back but somehow this felt really comforting. I felt safe, secure and somehow, all that anger I felt was all... gone. 

I couldn't have this. I could never be loved, admired or even belong in a 'FAMILY'. I had, once before, with the Stark family. I had trusted them with everything I could possibly give them but it turns out it was never enough.

I push slightly at at Bucky's chest and he lets go off me, obviously sad but otherwise understanding at my motives. 

"I think I'm gonna go find Steve." I quickly tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Yeah. I'll come. I have to say bye to him before I go." I completely forgot about his departure.

"Oh okay." We walk side by side to the one place we both knew Steve would be: The Recruitment Center.

"So, you and Dottie?" He shoves his hands in his pockets.

"It's not really like that." I look at him. "So then why did you ask her?" He looks at me, as if I should know the answer.

"I wanted to take you. I asked you back at Steve's place and you said that you were 'busy' with stuff." As I remember I start to feel a bit guilty.

"How do you even know her anyways?" I give him an 'isn't-it-obvious?' look and he slowly recooperates the answer in his mind.

"Really? Her?" I nod disappointed.

"You don't know her like I do. She has a thing for very... ambitious people." 

As we arrive at the Recruitment Center, we could both see Steve looking at himself as a soldier in the mirror. I let Bucky do all the talking as I stand on the side, observing. 

"You really gonna do this again?" Steve turns around to see us both standing there, though he wasn't really fazed that I was here. 

"Well it's a fair. I'm gonna try my luck." He answers back annoyed.

"Nice to see you here, Danny." I salute in recognition.

"As what? Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you or worse they'll actually take you." Bucky says worriedly.

" Look, I know you don't think I can do this-"

"This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war!" Bucky states frustrated. 

"I know it's war you don't have to tell me." Steve mutters back.

"Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs." Bucky gestures around him.

"What is he gonna do? Collect scrap metal.." I ask.

"Yes!" He turns to me, grinning at the idea of Steve being safe.

"... in my red little wagon." Steve mutters angrily.

"Why not?"

"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky. Bucky, come on! There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me." Bucky scoffs.

"Right because you've got nothing to loose." Bucky turns to me. "Make sure he doesn't do anything stupid when I'm gone."

"How can I?" Steve fires back. "You're taking all the stupid with you." Buck acts offend.

"You're a punk." They both embrace each other in a bro hug before saying goodbye. Then Bucky suddenly runs up to me and hug me tightly.

"Keep him safe. I don't want to get him in trouble. And don't try and get killed yourself." I try to reply but my lungs were kind of blocked again from the tightness of the hug. He lets go and I can finally breathe again. He pats Steve on the back before heading off. 

"Don't win the war till I get there." Steve barks out.

"Also, don't get caught by the Nazis!" I yell and he quickly sends my a wink before walking off. As he walks off, I can't help but feel a bit worried for him. What if the Nazis took him? I shake that thought out of my mind as I look around to find Steve had already disappeared. 'Well, I guess it's  just me, myself and I!' I walk back to the apartment, making it back safely before falling fast asleep on the couch.