Chapter Thirty-Eight

The woman led me to the back corner of the store where Diana was examining a short pink tutu dress. The woman took the dress quickly out of Diana's hands, causing her to jump, "No. This colour does not suit your hair. You're better off with... this dark blue."

She thrust an almost identical dress into Diana's arms except for the colour. Diana nodded quickly, "Yes, ma'am," and rushed to the fitting room.

Poor Diana; I knew she'd been eyeing the pink one for weeks. 

"This one is for you," the saleswoman held out a long, elegant dress to me, "It should fit you. Go try it on."

I nodded obediently and headed to the fitting room, fumbling for the price tag on the way. My allowance from Mum used to be $15 a week but since she married Mr Trevor it's risen to $25 a week. I had about $1090 in savings since I put $7.50 away into my savings account each week. 

The dress itself was $324. I smiled to myself. For a dress so pretty, I'd pay that much money.

I stepped into the fitting room and locked the door behind me. I stripped to my underwear before taking the dress off the hanger. I unzipped the side of it and then stepped in, before zipping it back up.

I examined it in the mirror with a small smile. It was floor-length and strapless - I'd have to invest in a strapless bra... - with multiple layers of lace flowing as a skirt at the ribcage. The bodice was a dark purple but in the skirt it moulded into a very faint purply-white. 

I could probably go one size smaller but it was gorgeous. I could imagine myself dancing and twirling in this dress. 

With Christian.

Another thought to bring a grin to my face.

"How are we in there?"

"Good," I called to the woman, "Though I think I could go a size smaller."

"May I see?"

I unlocked the door for her and she scrutinised me through her cat-eye glasses, "No. Definitely not a size smaller. If you did, you'd lose support in your chest. It's a perfect dress the way it is. Are you going to buy it?"

Oh. Okay... not a size smaller then? Alright.

"Yeah, I think I will," I nodded.

"Just get changed and step into line at the counter," the woman ordered.

"Okay," I stepped back, closing the door. 

I stripped out of the pretty dress and hung it back up. I dressed into my clothes again and picked up the hanger and my handbag, moving to go to the line. 

Diana turned around from in front of me, "What did you get?"

"This," I showed her the purple dress. 

Diana grinned brightly, "Nice. Expensive?"

"Yeah," I twisted my nose up, "What about you?"

She rolled her eyes, "The saleswoman wouldn't even let me try the pink dress on. I had to get the blue. Though... it doesn't look too bad; I just liked the pink."

***

I hung the dress up on the furthest part of the rack in my wardrobe and then closed the doors with a heavy sigh. I'd spent the rest of the day at the mall with the girls whilst they shopped and let me tell you - clothes shopping is exhausting... especially when you aren't shopping yourself.

I flopped onto my bed with a heavy sigh. I really needed some sleep... but first, food.

I forced my eyes open and slid out of the bed, walking into the common room. Opal frowned, "You look deadbeat, Nat."