Chapter Thirty-One

I woke up in a cold sweat for what seemed like the fifth time this month. I wiped the perspiration from my forehead as I sat up, slightly panting. There was a slight warmth on my lips as if I'd actually just made out with this unknown boy but that was impossible. He was just a figment of my imagination. 

There was a knock on my door and Dr Shree's voice called, "Are you awake?"

"Come in, Dr Shree," I replied.

She opened the door and moved to sit on the end of my bed. She had only studied me for a fleeting moment when she stood abruptly, "Are you panting?"

"Just a... just a bad dream," I explained. Not a complete lie. I vaguely remember dreaming of my dad as well tonight.

Dr Shree frowned and quickly moved over to the monitor that managed my sleeping patterns. Dr Shree let out a small sigh of relief as she saw no obscurities. 

She turned back to me with a wink, "You gave me a small heart attack. I thought we'd gone past this."

"Sorry," I gave her an apologetic smile.

Dr Shree continued, "Anyway, what was the bad dream?"

"Just dad," I shrugged, "Still... still not over it, I guess."

"You can never be over somebody's death," Dr Shree patted my shoulder, "You can get past a grieving stage but they'll forever be with you... in your heart."

"Not sure that Mum agrees," I murmured, "Mum cried for a bit but then... then she just returned to work."

"She was preoccupying herself so she didn't have to worry," Dr Shree explained, "I don't think your mum will ever get over you dad either, okay?"

I nodded infinitesimally.

"Let's get you to breakfast, yeah?"

***

I woke up in my bed at the holiday home. That was the third night this week that my 'Christian' time had been taken up by early memories. 

Just how wrong had Dr Shree been? Mum had certainly 'gotten over' Dad.

I rolled over and fumbled for my phone on the bedside table. I had three text messages and a few snapchats. I went through the snapchats before sending a photo of still-sleeping-Em to Bree, Whitney and Diana. I next went to the text messages.

Bree: enjoy the rest of your holidays! im jetting off to paris for the rest of this week so ill try and snapchat you as much as possible babe. tell em i said hi. ily xx

Me: Enjoy Paris, Bree :) Be sure to send those snaps. xx.

Rose: Heeeeeyyyyyy Natttttttieeeeeeeeeeee, dya think thatt weeeee coulllllld cattttchhhh uuuuuuupppppp? Meeeeesssssageeeee meeee baaackkk. xx iiiiilyyyyy. 

Me: Remember to take some aspirin this morning, Rose ;) I'm going to assume you were drunk-texting me? Otherwise, use proper grammar, please. 

Shawn: Christian keeps goin on about u. Im thinkin it was a bad idea 2 come back 2 school 4 the hols.

Me: Tell him I say hi :) Oh, and use fewer numbers; it gets irritating. 

I put my phone back down with a smile before standing up to get ready for the day at the same time there was a knock on the bedroom door. 

I cracked it open and Marie asked, "Is Emily still sleeping?"

I nodded and said quietly, "She stayed up quite late."