Chapter 10 - denial

It was just going to be a normal day. Nothing was going to happen. School was today. I didn't dread school, but I still didn't want to go. I went to school very peacefully today, nothing had interrupted me. I get to school and walk around. I finally find my click and sit with them. Matt, and Caroline waves. I wave back and smile at them.
"So these are specs for the history department. For the Founder's day float we'll be recreating the battle of Willow Creek." Mr. Saltzman says.
"By whom?" Tyler asks.
"By me. I've seen your sketches and they're good." Ric replies.
"I'm not really into the..."
"Well, you just pick your team, be creative and don't screw up." Alaric interrupts him.
"Hey Mr. Saltzman." Elena greets.
"Come with me you three." Alaric directs Stefan, Elena, and I.
Alaric fills us in about what happened last night. Isobel came into town, and wants to meet Elena. Exciting. Alaric apparently had to call Damon to come over to his classroom. I don't see why it's necessary. We all just talked about what we're going to do before Damon came,
"Sorry I'm late. My dog ate my.. nevermind. Wait, what's with all the furrowed brows?" Damon questions.
"I saw Isobel last night." Alaric says.
"She's here? In town?" He asks more. We talk more about the situation. Elena will meet Isobel today. Alaric, Damon, and I can't go in there. Elena is in the grill with Stefan for protection. Damon keeps complaining about how he should be in there, etc, etc. Other than that Damon and I haven't talked. It's weird, but I'm trying my best to stay professional. Finally Elena and Stefan come out; but they don't even talk to us. Stefan just nods to us and takes Elena home. Alaric leaves us also to go somewhere. As soon as he walks away I walk away too so we're not alone together.
"Arizona. We need to talk." I gulp at the sound of my name.
"I actually have to go.. so maybe sometime else? Yeah. Okay, thanks, bye." I rush my words to leave the dreaded place. I don't know what to do. I head back to school, and see everyone lifting a trailer off Matt's hand. I rush to Elena and ask what happened.
"Elena, what happened?"
"Isobel."
"What? She's doing this for the invention?" I furrow my eyebrows.
"I need you to get it for me." Elena asks.
"Why me?"
"Damon fancies you than anyone else in this town."
"No thanks. I'd rather see people die."
"People you care about? Imagine seeing them lifeless." Elena tries to persuade me.
"I don't feel like it. Ask him yourself." I say smiling.
"What's going on between you two? Are you guys having a fight or something? Is this the problem? What happened?" Elena asking a million of questions.
"I don't want to talk about it."
"So something did happen. Tell me." Elena said.
"No."
"Yes."
"Nope."
"Why not?" She fake frowns.
"Because it doesn't concern you." I say.
"Okay. Just tell me later then. But you're going to help me to try getting the device." Elena says.
"Oh." I say.

***

"Come on, Damon." I try to convince him to hand over the device.
"Absolutely not!"
"It'll be useless, Bonnie can take away its magic." I comprehend.
"I don't trust her." Damon snarks.
"I can remove the original spell." Bonnie says.
"John and Isabel won't know, Damon." I say.
"Are you even sure you can do this? I mean, no offence, you're no Emily Bennett." Damon says.
"I've been practising."
"It's not piano lessons." Damon replies back.
"What's your favourite book?" Bonnie asks Damon.
"What?"
"Name a book. Any book." Bonnie says.
"How about.. 'Call of the wild.' Jack London." Damon suggests. Bonnie uses her magic to pull out the book.
"Damon. We have to do this. Please give me the device." I say.
"I don't trust you. I tried to kill you." Damon talking to Bonnie.
"You're right. You can't trust me."
"But you can trust me." I say looking guilty. Damon walks over to me and hands me the device.
"Thank you."

***

Bonnie had removed the spell from the device. So now we had to meet Isobel. Elena and I walked up to her at a safe distance.
"Where's the device?" Isobel demanded.
"Where's our brother?" Elena says back.
"This isn't a negotiation. Where's the device?" Isobel keeps demanding.
"Where's our brother?" Elena says again.
"Do you think I came alone?" Isobel says.
"Did you think we came alone too?" I say.
"For god sakes. Call home." Isobel says. Elena calls Jeremy, and he's safe. What a relief.
"You weren't going to kill him?" I ask confused.
"No, I was going to kill him. Don't look for any redeeming qualities in me. I don't have any." Isobel reassures.
"But you took a risk with Damon. How did you know he was going to give it to us?" I ask more confused.
"Because he's in love with you." There was a brief moment of pause until Elena gave her the device.
"Thank you." Elena says.
"For what?" Isobel concerned.
"For being such a monumental disappointment. It keeps the memory of my real mother perfectly intact." Elena says.
"Goodbye, Elena. As long as you have the Salvatore's, you'll be doomed. Katherine was smart, she got out. But we all know you're not Katherine." Isobel says then leaves. Elena goes to embrace Stefan, while I'm silent.
"I'm going to go home. Bye." I say walking home. The same words keep repeating in my head. 'In love with you.' That can't be. I mean can it?