Ch. 17 -Distractions

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE COMMENTS AND VOTES!!!!

Votes+comments = early update

=====

I took a deep breath, frantically trying to decide the best way to go about answering him. "Um..." I gave a nervous giggle. "W-what do you mean? How did you know they were here?" I scratched my neck awkwardly.

"How did I know they were there?" He repeated, his voice questioning and cold.

I nodded my head, feeling my throat go dry. "Yeah." I replied.

"Someone who Natasha claims is your cousin uploaded a picture of the three of you to Facebook." Greg replied bitterly.

I froze, feeling my stomach drop.

What?

It was then that a sudden flash of remembrance hit me, and I was reminded of Penny taking a picture with her new camera, and me - ohshit - sitting on the couch with Bieber and Somers both putting their arms around me obnoxiously.

I inhaled deeply, letting it out with a shuddering wave of nerves.

"Oh." I replied, my voice cracking.

I was met with a resounding silence on the other end.

I sighed. "Look," I said resignedly. "It's not what it looks like."

"Oh really? Because I'd really like to hear your explanation for this." Greg spat bitterly. "You specifically said Natasha and I couldn't go to Ryan's party thing because it was 'family only'. But yet...Bieber and Somers - who are the ultimate douchebags and are in no way related to you or Ryan - are allowed to come? That's just bullshit!"

I closed my eyes for a moment, before I opened them, only to see Justin sitting across from me, biting his lip and smirking at me in a strange satisfied sort of way.

"I didn't even know they were going to come." I said truthfully. "Honest, Greg. I didn't. They just showed up! Actually, I'm pretty sure Ryan invited them. I had no prescience about that, there was nothing I could do. They came over like, half an hour after I got there."

I paused for a moment, listening to the faint crackling of silence on the other end.

"And," I continued. "I mean...Chaz and Justin are practically Ryan's family anyway. I'm not surprised they were invited, but you shouldn't be, either. It honest-to-God was a 'family only' event, but both of them know and are closer with my extended family than you are, so it didn't really matter that they came." I shrugged.

"But Natasha's the same way," Greg pointed out.

"Well...kind of." I said tentatively. "But...you just don't know my family, Greg. We're talking all of my aunts and uncles and cousins and people. Tasha's my friend, not Ryan's. Sure, she knows him really well and all that, but...her best friend is me. Justin and Chaz are Ryan's best friends, not mine. Considering this was a party for Ryan, it makes sense." I shrugged one shoulder, feeling as if I'd gotten my logic across.