Ch. 3 -Sparks

“What are you doing?” I asked, walking into the kitchen and grinning. I dropped my backpack onto the ground and placed a pile of books onto the counter, looking over at where Ryan was standing holding the refrigerator door open, staring into it.

Ryan shrugged. “Looking for food.” He replied simply. 

“I don’t think there’s anything good in there.” I stated, scrunching my nose up skeptically.

I watched as Ryan plunged his hand into the fridge and pulled out a Red Bull and a container of leftover mashed potatoes. “Yeah, there is.” He replied, grinning. He shut the door and proceeded to open up the cabinet that was to the left of the fridge. He rummaged inside it for a moment before he grabbed a bag of Lays potato chips. “You guys always have good food.”

I laughed.

Contrary to popular belief at my school because of the dramatically different cliques that Ryan and I belonged to, we were extremely close. Being cousins, we’d known each other since birth and practically grown up together. We talked at school occasionally, but I only had two classes with him, so I didn’t see him that often. Due to the fact that we rarely spoke or hung out at school, most of our dear classmates had no clue we were even friends. They all thought we were the type of cousins that ignore each other and/or don’t get along.

But it was quite the opposite for us. 

I spent a lot of time at his house, and he spent a lot of time at mine. We could walk into each other’s houses without knocking and our respective families didn’t care - maybe because we were all related, but still. Though I hated his friends, he didn’t mind mine, and so he, Natasha, and I hung out whenever we could. Our relationship as really good friends was probably one of my best kept secrets.

Not that I was trying to keep it a secret or anything, just that our school conveniently didn’t know.

His friends would probably try and persuade him to stop hanging out with me if they found out how close we were.

But it’s not like he could stop us from being related, so I wasn’t exactly concerned.

Ryan brought the chips, mashed potatoes and Red Bull over to the counter and set them down, cracking open the Red Bull and opening up the chip bag. He then proceeded to find a spoon in one of the drawers underneath the counter and popped open the lid of the mashed potatoes. I watched with disgust as he plunged his spoon into the mashed potatoes and took a huge bite of it.

“That’s gross.” I commented, scrunching my nose.

He looked up at me and grinned cheekily. “You’re gross.”

I rolled my eyes. “Ha ha, very funny.” I said dryly. “You’re so mature, Ryan.”

He chuckled. 

“Do you have Reymer for Lit?” I asked curiously, changing the subject.