Ch. 16 -MIles Away

"I'll be right back." I murmured to Penny, standing up off of the couch and heading towards the hallway.

The hockey game had ended a few minutes ago and Ryan and Chaz were off in the kitchen getting food and drinks to celebrate the Leafs' win. Justin had disappeared somewhere (shooting me a pointed look in the process to remind me of what he'd told me to do earlier in the kitchen), and the adults and other family members of mine were still scattered throughout the house.

Thus, it was just Penny and I left in the TV room of her house.

"Where are you going?" Penny asked curiously, looking at me as I reached the door.

I turned back to face her, shooting her a warm grin. "Uh...I think I left something in my car, and I'm just gonna go look for it." I lied.

Pretty good, considering I'd just made it up on the spot.

(Although I will say...I really need to get out of this habit of lying. Pretty soon, it's bound to come back and bite me in the ass.)

"Oh, okay." Penny replied, nodding her head and smiling.

I shot her a quick smile back before I turned and headed out into the hallway, walking the length of it to the front door of my cousins' house.

I opened the front door and walked outside, shutting the door behind me and zipping my jacket up, feeling a gust of blustery wind hit my face; considering it was nearing the end of October, the weather had already begun to drop to bitter temperatures.

I glanced around curiously, squinting my eyes against the harsh wind and trying to catch a glimpse of where Justin might have gone.

Unfortunately for me, however, it was pitch-black outside, making it very hard to see anything besides the dark cars out on the street. (Not to mention, it made everything about ten times creepier.)

A few street lamps glowed dully in the evening air, broadcasting grim sets of light onto designated portions of the street.

I could see most of my cousins' lawn due to their bright front porch light, but regardless of where I looked, I couldn't see anything that even so much as resembled a person.

"Justin, where the hell are you?" I hissed, more to myself than anyone.

I mean, seriously. Way to tell me to meet you outside after the hockey game is over and then now even show up.

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, angrily clicking it on and preparing to send him a text message demanding to know where he was, when suddenly, I heard a raspy voice calling out across the lawn.

"Yo, Nash!"

My head shot up, and I caught sight of Justin's profile leaning casually against the side of a car a little ways down the road.