Ch. 7 -When In Doubt, Lie

“So you can’t hang out tonight?” Greg asked from the other end of the phone. His voice sounded slightly disappointed.

“No, I have to work on Reymer’s project.” I replied, my tone regretful and apologetic. “This is the only night we have to finish the outline.”

Greg let out a small groan. “That sucks.”

“I know.” I replied. “Have you and Natasha worked on your outline yet?” I shifted my cell phone to my other ear.

“No.” Greg stated. “We haven’t even started yet.” He laughed. “I think we were gonna start it sometime next week.”

There was a pause for a moment.

“Why is tonight the only night you have to finish it?” Greg asked. “It’s a Saturday night!”

I let out an irritated exhale. “Well Idiot Boy is going out of town tomorrow, and he’ll be gone until Thursday, so this is really the only night we have.”

“Oh...” Greg trailed off. “Yeah, that’s annoying.”

“Yep.” I replied, popping the ‘p’. “But hey,” I stated. “At least I got to hang out with you last night at the hockey game.”

“And the night before that.” Greg added.

“And the night before that.” I stated.

“And the night before that.” He said.

And the night before that!” I exclaimed, laughing.

He laughed back.

It was true. I’d gone with Greg (and Natasha) to Ryan’s hockey game last night, and every other night this week, I’d been with Greg. We’d been hanging out nonstop, going to Starbucks, the park, the movies, anywhere and anything. It was like we were trying to go on a bunch of dates in a row to make up for the time we hadn’t been together. In the midst of all of this, we’d gotten to know each other and gotten even closer than we were already. It had happened so fast, but I’ll admit, I didn’t mind.

Our relationship was going steady (even if it had only been for a week, it felt like it had been at least a month), and I was happy.

“So we’ve gotten to see each other a lot this week. Thankfully.” Greg stated in conclusion.

“Mhm.” I replied, grinning. “One night won’t kill us. And hey - there’s always tomorrow.” I laughed.

“True.” Greg replied. 

There was a pause for a moment.