Ch. 4 -A Lakeside Unofficial Date

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks as Greg opened the car door for me, stepping back to let me get out.

I stepped out onto the pavement and glanced around us. We were at a small lake that was located a few miles away from our school, in a quiet neighborhood on the edge of Stratford. The lake was small; it resembled more of an extremely large pond than an actual lake, but it was very pretty nonetheless. Dark blue waters rippled gently from the breeze, lapping quietly against the shore. A few ducks meandered mindlessly in the shallow depths of the water, occasionally calling out to one another.

Greg and I had been texting each other for the last week, getting to know each other more and more each day, and discussing what was going on in our lives. As the week had progressed, we’d agreed via text to hang out - just the two of us. 

I guess you could say it was kind of sort of maybe unofficially a ‘date’, but I wouldn’t call it that out loud.

Yet.

He’d asked me if I wanted to hang out this weekend, and I’d agreed. It was as simple as that. In no way did he ask me to go on a ‘date’ with him. It was just to hang out.

But somehow, somewhere, I got the vibe that deep down, he wanted to call it a date as much as I did.

Regardless, here we were, out for a walk near the lake on a beautiful (and slightly chilly) September day.

I was dressed in black skinny jeans, silver ballet flats, and a royal blue low-backed crochet top. It had seemed like appropriate attire when I’d left my house earlier that day, but now that we’d gotten to the lake and felt as the wind had begun to pick up ever-so-slightly, I realized that I probably should have brought a jacket. I already had goose-bumps on my bare arms.

I smiled at Greg in thanks and began walking towards where the lake was, feeling my shirt plaster to my skin as a gust of wind swept through. Greg slammed the car door shut behind me, locked the car with a click of his keys, and began walking to catch up with me. 

“It’s so pretty here.” I commented, gazing admiringly at the lake.

“Yeah, I know.” Greg replied. He turned to look at me and smiled. “I’m glad we were able to hang out today.”

I smiled back at him. “I know, I am too.” I replied genuinely.

“So tell me,” Greg said, staring ahead as we began walking slowly through the grass. “How long have you lived in Stratford?”

I shrugged. “My whole life.” I replied, squinting slightly against the glare of the sun, which was glinting dully above us.

Greg looked at me. “Really?”

I nodded. “Yep. Born and raised here.” 

“That’s cool.” Greg stated.

I looked at him and shrugged. “I guess.” I laughed. “How about you? Lived here your whole life?”