chapter 51

"We understand everything you've told us miss Jones and we're very sorry about what has happened to you. We can charge him for the injury caused to you but we cant charge him for what he may or may not have done to miss King. He won't admit it and we have no evidence to prove he did. It's your word against his and that won't stand in court." One officer said in a sympathetic voice.

"He killed her! He said it to my face and you can't let a murdered walk free!" I said with my voice raised.

"It's okay Melanie, calm down." Harry said rubbing my thigh.

"Let me see him, I can talk to him, I can make him see sense. Please." I begged.

"You've had a long day miss Jones, we don't think that's a very good idea."

"I'm fine. Please, it's worth a chance. My bestfriend died because of him and I'm not giving up on her." I said firmly.

The two officers exchanged wary looks but then nodded. "Fine. You can come down to the station now. You have one chance. If this doesn't work, I'm sorry miss Jones but it's all we can do."

"Can I go with her?" Harry said standing up.

"You won't be able to speak to Mr Bourne but you can ride down with her, yes."

Niall and Louis gave me a hug before I left and assured me I could do this and I knew I could. If anyone could crack Jack it would be me. I had one chance to get this right. I had to do this for Hannah, I had no choice but to get this right.

--

We headed down to the questioning room where Jack was held and me, Harry and 5 police officers walked up to the door.

"Us two will be coming in there with you." The tall police officer said, pointing at the man next to him. "He is potentially dangerous and we can't rule out the possibility that he won't try and hurt you, so you can't go in alone. Your boyfriend and these 3 other officers will be out here at all times aswell so everything is kept as safe as possible. If you want to leave, you can at anytime."

I nodded and Harry hugged me tight before me and two of the officers stepped inside the room. It was tiny. There was nothing in there apart from a small table that Jack was sitting at and the walls were painted a dirty cream colour. I walked over and sat opposite Jack. The two officers stood a few steps behind him and I waited for Jacks head to rise from the table.

His head had a nasty bruise on it from where I had hit him and it shone slightly in the light.

"I'm surprised to see you here. You're the last person I expected to pay me a visit." He said rolling his eyes. "I thought you'd be scared of me now."

"I'm not scared of you. I've known you my entire life. The person you have become isn't anything to be scared of, it's a cry for help." I said softly.

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"I know you better than anyone in the world. I've grown up with you. I'm the only person you trust remember."

He rolled his eyes and looked down.

"Why are you denying killing Hannah? You can't take her life and get away with it Jack. Why did you think doing what you did would make me love you again?"

"We don't need this. If you would have just learnt to be happy with me. We wouldn't be here. We'd be at home watching TV or eating takeaways. We don't need anyone telling us what to do. Me and you could of took on the word together but you broke me."

"I didn't want to learn to be happy Jack. That's what you don't understand. I'm 19 years old, I'm not just settling for the 'okay' I want everything I can out of life. I want to love who I want and be happy my own way. Everyone needs to find their selves and do everything they can to be the best versions of themselves possible. That's all trial and error. I tried being happy with you and it didn't work out. Now I'm trying with Harry and despite all the shit we've been through to get to this day, he is what makes me happy. He is who makes my heart flutter and you will find someone like that too. You will find someone who makes you the best version of you that you can possibly be. She's out there and you're not gunna find her by killing innocent people and shooting people you think you love. You don't love me. You think you do but you don't."  

"I do love you Mel, I do." He said, looking up at my face.

"You don't. You killed my bestfriend, you tried to ruin my relationship, you tried to kill me. Look at my arm, you shot me. You did that. If I had died you wouldn't of cared because you don't want me to be happy. You trying to kill me was a way of saying, 'If I can't have you then no one will' and that's not fair. I deserve to be happy as much as the next person."

"I know you do." He whispered. "I'm so sorry." A tear rolled down his cheek and I chewed my lip.

Adrenaline flowed through my veins. I knew I was so close to dragging the words from his lips. His guard was down and I'd never seen him so vulnerable. Stay strong Mel, c'mon.

"Admit it Jack, admit it. Not for me. For yourself and for Hannah. I'm not giving up on her."

He looked me in the eyes and I didn't turn away from his glare.

"The truth will come out sooner or later." I said calmly.

"Okay." He breathed. "I killed Hannah King. I shot Hannah King. I did it and I'm sorry."

The two officers pounced on him, pushing his body down onto the table and handcuffing him. "Jack Bourne, I am arresting you for the murder of Hannah King. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned, something which you will later rely on in court. Anything you say, may be given in as evidence."

I sighed in relief and my eyes were wide as they struggled with Jacks body. I froze with shock and the other three officers rushed in to help and take the recording of Jacks confession. Once Jack was standing again, he looked at my face, with glossy eyes, still being dragged around by police officers.

"Go and be happy Mel. I'm sorry for everything, I'm so sorry." He said loudly above the commotion.

I didn't reply and Harry rushed in to remove me from the room.

I fell to my knees as Jack was taken away and Harry kneeled next to me, swallowing me into his chest.

"It's over now." He soothed. "Everything will be okay. You did it and I'm so proud of you."