65

Don't actually say it!" He said quickly, loudly, glancing at me with wide eyes. "Even if ya say it as a joke, the bond still breaks."

"I love you, Josh," I sighed. "I'm not going to reject you."

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, but his expression eased. "I know," he tried to say confidently, but the relief in his voice was too great.

I chuckled at him. "What do you mean the bond breaks?"

"We're connected by a bond that connects as soon as ya spot each other, and when ya reject yer mate, that bond is broken." He explained.

"And… that can't be reconnected?" I asked, playing with the end of my braid.

"It's never the same," he replied. "A kiss can relink, but it's never truly right."

"Huh…" I hummed. A moment of silence made my mind wonder and I flinched at the thought. "Did… did they give you the results of all those tests?"

He glanced at me, his eyebrows furrowed. "No, why?"

"They—did they run a…a pregnancy test?" I whispered, half hoping he couldn't hear me.

A loud growl rumbled in his chest, his hands tightened on the wheel and he slammed on brakes. I gasped as the momentum carried me forward and slammed me back into the seat. "Pregnancy test?" he snarled, his lip pulling back over his teeth.

"It's possible," I replied softly.

"It ain't possible!" He roared. "I won't let it be possible!"

"Josh," I mumbled trying to calm him down. His shoulders were shaking and his voice was a pure growl. In all honesty, he was beginning to scare me and I shied away from him. "It is a possibility. He…he didn't use pro—"

Joshua growled, cutting me off and nearly snapping the wheel in half. "I'll kill him!" he snarled. He mumbled under his breath angrily and I only caught that last part; "…with my mate!"

"I'm pretty sure they would've said something…" I said more to myself, hugging my torso.

"They would've said somethin'…" he repeated, clothing his eyes, his jaw clenching and unclenching. "I'll still kill 'em."

"Josh, he's in custody," I assured him, but his face twisted in disbelief.

"Danny…" he said slowly. "I… I didn't want ta tell ya but…"

My breath hitched as I imagined the worse. "B-but what?"

"Jake's gone. He escaped when yer father tried ta arrest him."

I stiffened, and fear pulsed though my veins. "E-escaped?" I squeaked. "M-my father let him escape…"

"I didn't say that." He said quickly.

"It's true," I stated meekly, staring straight ahead. I realized with a jolt, "He had something to do with this."

Josh frowned. "Danny, ya don't know that—"

"It makes sense!" I said, my voice rising in octave. "He's hated me since the day I was born! Why wouldn't he want to get rid of me?!"

"Danny!" Josh's voice was desperate. "Don't worry. I ain't gonna let him hurt ya again. You'll stay with us 'til we find another way."

"You know that ain't gonna happen…" I sighed, frowning as I gazed out the window. "Grant'll want me back."

Josh growled, "Well, I ain't gonna let him."

"You have no control over me, Joshua!" I exclaimed. "And you especially have no control over my father."

His jaw clenched, but he said no more.

"I love you, Josh," I whispered. "And you have no idea how much I want to get out of that place, but I can't. Not now. Not any time soon."

"Darlin'," Josh glanced at me. "I don't want ya hurt."

"You have no control, Josh," I repeated slowly. "You may be all mighty soon-to-be-alpha, and maybe you have control over your pack and maybe even over me, but you have nothing over my father. You can't always protect me, Josh."

Just like I'd expected, his eyes hardened and his fists tightened around the wheel. "I can try," he snarled.

I wanted to change the subject. No, I needed to. I couldn't stand talking about this. "Why didn't you answer me?" I whispered, the thought hitting me like a brick. "W-why didn't you ever talk to me?"

"What?" Josh breathed. "I-I never heard you. I tried speakin' ta you all the time, Danny! I thought you were dead."

I glanced up at him, my mouth falling open. "You never heard me?"

He shook his head gently. "If I had heard you…"

"Why didn't you hear me…?" I asked lowly, mostly to myself.

"They found a lot a… a lot a drugs in yer system." Josh replied, his face twisting in an unreadable expression.

I looked up to him, remembering that fuzzy, dizzy feeling. "That makes sense…"

The rest of the drive was in silence, mostly because I was still mad, and he could sense it. He thought he could control me, when he couldn't. I was too stubborn to forgive him until he admitted his wrong, and he was too stubborn to recognize that. We pulled into the pack driveway before everyone else, and it was oddly empty. I unbuckled as fast as I could, but the door still opened before I reached it. I sighed irritably to myself as I stared down at him.

"Yer adorable when yer mad," he stated, his eyes sparkling in amusement as he took my hand.

"I don't need your help," I muttered, pulling away from his grasp, but he was still smiling. I jumped down, flinching as pain shot up my legs. Josh wrapped his arms around my waist to steady me. I pushed him away, knowing that if those sparks continued, I'd break under them and forgive him.

I hoped to see him frowning when I glanced up, but all I saw was him chuckle and shake his head. And he was still smiling. I was beginning to be annoyed. "I'm mad at you!" I hissed, crossing my arms over my chest. "Why are you smiling?!"

"Because," he said, lifting his hand to brush my cheek gently. I closed my eyes at the tender touch and shivered. "A couple weeks ago, ya would hardly look at me. You were the sweetest, most skittish, frightened thing I'd ever seen."

"You just call me a thing?" I asked, raising an eyebrow as I opened my eyes to glare at him.

He continued as if I hadn't spoken. "Ya woulda never stood up fer yerself, let alone be mad at someone fer anythin'. Now look at ya. Yer adorably furious with me."

"Adorably furious…?" I blinked.

He laughed and shrugged. "So I ain't good with words; sue me."

"Adorably… furious…?" I repeated slowly, shaking my head.

"Yer really cute when yer mad, darlin'." He said, laughing awkwardly.

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you trying to soften me with ridiculous compliments?"

"Only if it's workin'." He grinned lopsidedly, and all breath left my lungs at the sight.

I shook my head at him, pushing around him as I mumbled, "I'm goin' ta bed."

"I'll go with ya!" Josh offered immediately.

Fear and memories coursed through me. "Joshua!" I shrieked, turning around with wide eyes.

His face fell and he glanced away. "Sorry, darlin'. I—I didn't mean it like that."

"I know," I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Go get some rest," he murmured, playing in the dirt with the toe of his shoe. "I'm here if ya need me, just like always."

"Don't tell me what to do," I grumbled, but turned around and headed towards the house. I still heard his soft laugh behind me, and all my anger evaporated at that sound.

He's lucky I love him.