56

The next day, Josh wouldn't leave me alone. He checked on me when I woke up, drove me to school, and checked in on me during school. Currently, he was probably waiting for me at my locker.

As I turned the corner, my heart dropped and my anger flared. Sure enough, Josh leaned against my locker, but someone also leaned on him.

But, look, Danny… at home, we got to have each other's backs. But at school… I don't know you, alright?

Ha. Well, then, I don't know her either.

My free hand clenched into a fist by my side while my other one held my books tightly to my chest. I blew out angrily, and it almost came out like a growl. Josh's head snapped up, his eyes widening as he caught my gaze. He glanced down at Destiny, then his injured arm. Help me. He said, turning those blue orbs towards me. I ran my hand through my hair, and before I knew it, my feet were stalking towards them.

Destiny turned towards me, frowning, and her hands rested on Josh's chest. "What—"

"Back off, Destiny," I snapped, cutting her off. Around me, the entire hall went silent. Josh smirked and Destiny's eyes narrowed. "He is my boyfriend. He ain't into you!

"Get over it." I snarled, closing the distance between us. There were a couple gasps at my outlandish behavior, but I didn't care. Someone had to teach her a lesson, and I was the one who had to put up with her at home too.

"Really?" she scoffed, but uncertainty swirled in her eyes as she swiveled to Josh. He scowled, unable to back away, and instead turned his chin away from her. Her lips connected with his cheek. Pushing his books behind his sling, he took hold of her wrists and pushed her away. She cursed lowly, turning. Someone struck my cheek and I scowled. From the corner of my eye, I saw Josh stiffen, the temper inside him burning. I gave him a look to stay in his place. This one was my fight.

I ground my teeth together, lifting my head to give her a hardened look. I smiled, chuckled a little, handing my books to Josh. "You really think that'll get me ta go away? That a little slap'll scare me off? Well, news flash, Destiny¸ I ain't the same girl I was a few weeks ago." I glanced at Josh, who was smirking at me. "I ain't frightened so easily no more."

She threw the first punch, angel. Josh said. I'd say go for it, but with yer head…

But my fist was already flying through the air. A roar ran through the crowd and I suddenly found them very annoying. My fist connected with her face, sending her smashing into the lockers. She gasped, blinking and bringing a hand to her nose to check for blood. Everyone cheered. I clenched my hands into fists. I didn't do chick fights. I had grown up being the punching bag. At least I got something from it.

Destiny's gaze straightened out, scowling at me. She just about to lunge when Josh took hold of her shoulder, pushing her back into the wall. "Ah, ah." He growled. "You ain't hurtin' her again."

I smiled victoriously as Destiny slumped against the lockers, rubbing her injured jaw, glaring at Josh.

"I hope that'll teach ya a lesson," I said after Josh had stepped back, but was still ready to jump forward again. My own personal body guard. "Maybe next time you'll leave my boyfriend alone"

"How anyone picks you over me¸ I'll never understand." She snarled. My fists tightened.

"She ain't so desperate and easy ta get," Josh snapped. She gasped in hurt and I laughed out loud at his comment as an ooh went through the crowd.

Her scowl deepened, and she turned towards me. "I'll get him," she muttered for my ears only, although I knew Josh could hear her. "I promise you that." At that, Jake pushed through the crowd, grabbing Destiny's elbow. Jake glanced at her reddening face, and then at me, his mouth agape. Something sparkled in his eyes, and it definitely wasn't anger. Josh growled lowly at him, stepping in front of me and taking my hand.

I had never seen that look in Jake's eyes, but somehow I knew it. It was awe. And Josh was jealous all over again. Destiny had to be right. Josh growled lowly again. "Both of you stay away from her." He pushed me to go forward. I did, and the crowd parted for us, groaning that the fight was over.

"Get yer stuff," he muttered. "I ain't gonna be able ta hold it much longer."

I nodded, taking the books from under his sling. I tried glancing over my shoulder at them, but Josh slung his arm around me, whispering in my ear, "The victor never looks back."

I smiled, biting my lip. "I did win, huh? I actually won this time!"

I turned to see him smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Ya did sweetie. And let me tell ya," his lips brushed my ear. "Yer very sexy when yer mad."

Images flashed in my mind, but I pushed them away along with him. "Stop it, Josh."

He laughed, his eyes finally sparkling as we made our way to class. "So how da ya feel?"

"Are ya talking about my pride or my head?"

He smiled again. "Both."

"My head feels fine, and my pride is about to burst!" I couldn't help but squeal.

He chuckled, kissing my cheek. "Good. It's about time ya felt proud a yerself."

"I thought so," I nodded, looking up at him. "Thank you."

"I had nothin' ta do with it, darlin'. That was all you."

---------------------------
I know it's really short. I promise the next one will be longer.