50

Chapter 17

After a wax, pedicure, make-up, and a lesson of walking in heels, I was finally ready. Destiny fluffed up my curls, spraying a little more hairspray. "There," she smiled. "All set."

I reached up to feel the bump that held my bangs back. "Thanks, Destiny." I said.

"No problem," she shrugged. "It's what I do best."

I glanced out the window and gasped. "He's here! I gotta go!" As fast as I could, I wobbled over to the door on iffy heels. I opened the door, flashing one last smile at Destiny before stepping out of the house and shutting it closed behind me. I grasped the clutch purse she had let me borrow and waited at the edge of the steps. But Josh was frozen at the hood of his pick-up, staring opened mouth. I found myself laughing as I flitted down the steps, smiling ear to ear.

I stopped in front of him, twirling. "Do you like it?" I asked, stumbling as the world spun before me.

"Wow," he breathed, and I soon felt the pressure of his hand on my upper arm. The spinning settled just as he pulled me to him, lowering his head.

I turned just at the right moment so that his lips pressed against my cheek. I couldn't suppress the giggle as I smiled. "Ah, ah, ah," I teased. "No kissing on the first date."

"Danny," he growled, his mouth skimming my skin to rest at the corner of my mouth. "This ain't our first date."

"I'm not counting the picnic," I smirked. "So let's just pretend, shall we?"

His lips grazed my jaw, a whine escaping from his throat. "But babe…" he said, his voice dipping low, husky.

"Joshua!" I scolded. "I'm hungry! Let's go eat!"

He pulled back, frowning, but his eyes were dark. "Alright," he sighed, turning towards his car.

"Besides, I gotta lot of questions for ya," I smirked, veering away from him to open the passenger door.

He frowned at me. "I was gonna do that."

"What?" I raised an eyebrow. "Open my door?"

"Yes," he whined. "It's polite."

I smiled at him. "Aw, I got a gentleman!" I joked, sliding in the seat. He winked at me as he opened the door, but said nothing as he got in. As he started the car awkwardly with his left hand, I found myself studying him. The way his jaw clenched as he glared at the steering wheel for its difficulties. The way his expression softened as he caught my gaze and winked again, his lips widening in a smile. His injured arm rested against his chest and he repositioned his blue tie to line up with the buttons on his white collared shirt. A black suit jacket hung on his broad shoulders, matching the same color and fabric of his pants. His chin was freshly shaven, which made me sigh inwardly.

"So," I said, leaning towards him. "Question number one—"

He shook his head, flashing me a grin. "Ah, ah, ah," he mocked. "We ain't on our date yet."

I pursed my lips, glaring harshly at him. "Fine," I snapped, never letting up my gaze. "What about your dad? What happened?"

"Gave me a talkin' to," he shrugged. "'Bout how I needed ta be careful or somethin'. He said I needed ta stay away from ya fer awhile."

I gasped softly as he scoffed. "So you're not supposed to be here—with me?"

He glanced from side to side before turning, never looking at me, but he shrugged again. "Nope," he said. "But Alpha knows ya can't keep a wolf away from his mate just like ya can't keep moths away from light."