61 Josh POV

I sat up, gasping and throwing the covers away from me. I glanced around, sucking in breath after breath. The dream, still fresh in my mind, had shaken me completely. I ran my hand through my hair, looking around the room for something to distract me. What was I doing in my bed? When had I gotten back in my room? Last thing I remembered was… "Danny!" I shouted in alarm, jumping out of bed.

I had to go back. I had to go look for her. I bounded down the stairs, coming into the living room. Dad stood from his spot on the couch. "Good, yer awake." He said.

"I-I—Danny," I stammered.

He frowned, making his away over to me. "Son, we looked everywhere. There was no sign of her at all, and when we found ya passed out, I decided it was best ta go home."

"I have ta find her!" I cried, backing away from him. I reached up to bury my fingers in my hair, closing my eyes at the frustration building in my chest. "I-I can't leave her. I-I can't let her down. She… she could… be hurt… or worse…"

"There was nothin', Josh. She must've just been picked up by one a her friends 'er somethin'. You'll see her at school." He assured me.

"You think I'm overreactin'?" I growled. "I saw her get inta that van! At gunpoint. I found that same van last night, along with two boys. They-they snuck up on me and knocked me out. I-I was so close…"

His expression never changed, but his eyes told me he was unsure. "Yer mom and I'll look fer her while yer at school, alright?"

"School?" I asked in disbelief. "I-I can't go ta school… not without her there. I have ta find her first."

Dad frowned. "Josh, you need ta go ta school."

My chest tightened and I closed my eyes at his words. I tried to resist the Voice, but it prevailed, as always. I felt myself sigh without my permission. "Alright."

"Go get ready."

I turned involuntarily and went back up the stairs at a slow pace, my fists clenched and growling the whole time. Hurriedly, I took a shower and threw on some clothes. Seeing a notebook laying on my desk, I picked it up, paging through it. I put it on top of my binder and made my way downstairs again. It was hers.

A part of me hoped he was right. Maybe I was overreacting. But Danny didn't have any friends, especially other guys, and no one in her family had a van like that. But I couldn't help that tiny bit of hope sprouting in my stomach. Maybe she'd escaped. Maybe… But I knew the chances were slim to none.

Danny? I tried as I snatched the keys off the coffee table.

"Josh?" Levi asked behind me. "Ain't ya gonna wait fer Iya and me?"

"What?" I asked turning around to stare at him. "Oh… uh… sure…. But hurry up. I-I…" I can't stay here long. I thought, but couldn't finish my sentence.

He looked up at me with pity filled eyes. "Alright… I'll tell Iya."

But Iya was already coming down the stairs. She didn't stop as she approached me, but instead wrapped her arms around my waist. "I'm sorry," she mumbled, her voice cracking. Tears filled my eyes as well as I returned the hug, pressing my eyes shut. She squeezed me once before pulling away with tears in her own eyes. "We'll find her, okay?"

"I hope yer right, Iya." I sighed. "Are y'all ready ta go?"

She nodded, frowning. Levi came up behind her, holding out a piece of toast with one already in his mouth. "Here ya go," he said, his eyes still filled with that look.