41

I gasped as the door shot open, clinging to Josh. "There y'all are!" Iya's harsh voice called. "Y'all take too long!" A hand wrapped around my upper arm. Why does she always grab me? I took hold of Josh's sleeve as Iya pulled me into the gym.

I had never heard music so loud and fast. I closed my eyes to the blinding light, gripping Josh's sleeve tighter. "Iya," he scolded.

"What?" she said, but released my arm seconds later. My eyes fluttered open as I felt his arm wrap around my waist.

Anthony suddenly appeared next to Iya, wrapping his arm around her waist. "C'mon, babe," he said, nodding to the dance floor where all the other students were grinding against one another, "let's go dance."

Iya glanced nervously at Josh, and then at the people dancing. "Uhh…" she began before the song changed, the music slowing into something slower. Her face brightened. "Alright!" She took his hand and dragged him to the edge of the crowd.

"Whadda ya say?" Josh said suddenly, dropping his arm to take my hand.

"What?" I whispered, turning my head towards him. "Dance? Me? No way."

He smirked. "I was hopin' you'd say that…" his eyes flashed devilishly. "I know this song really well…In fact, I could sing it for ya…"

"No!" I squealed, covering his mouth with my hand. "I'll dance, just don't scream, please."

He laughed. "Good," He said, pulling me towards the horde of students. "I'm glad ya see it my way."

I shot him a glare, but he was already mouthing the words to the song. I get carried away, by the look, by the light in your eyes before I even realize the ride I'm on, baby, I'm long gone. He took my hands, placing one on his shoulder and taking the other in his own hand. He then wrapped his other arm around my waist and began swaying side to side. I get carried away. Nothin' matters but bein' with you. Like a feather flyin' high up in the sky on a windy day, I get carried away.

I leaned in close to him. "Do you have to know every country song there is?"

He gave me a look. "Of course. It's my job as a cowboy!" he joked.

"You are not a cowboy, Josh." I breathed, closing my eyes and shaking my head.

"Sure I am!"

I patted his shoulder softly. "Alright, Joshua."

"Are you mockin' me?" he growled, pulling me tighter against him.

I choked back a gasp. I could feel his rhythmic heart beat pound through his shirt. I smiled innocently, blinking up at him. "Me? No, never."

He pushed me away, keeping a tight hold on my hand, so that I spun once before he pulled me back to him. I laughed breathlessly as he continued to spin us around, pretending to know how to do the waltz. His brilliant blue eyes sparkled with laughter and his smile shined brighter than the lights around us.

The moment was perfect.

And then the song ended.

And for a second, we were still dancing. That was, before something caught my ankle. I gasped sharply, feeling the already sprained injury giving out. Arms wrapped around my waist, keeping me from falling. "Destiny," Josh growled, glaring over my shoulder, and setting me up back on my feet.

"What an ugly dress," her shrill voice said behind me, "but it suits you." I cringed, closing my eyes.

"You wanna talk about an ugly dress, Destiny," Josh spat, "go look in a mirror."