11

My back ached when I woke up in the middle of the night, still buckled in the car, the driver and his passenger long gone. Slowly, as to not irritate my muscles, I unbuckled myself and sat up. The stars were bright in the sky as I stared up through the window. I slid over and opened the door, crawling out into the night. I staggered over to the door, luckily finding it unlocked.

That was about the only thing that went right today.

Silently, I entered the house, surprisingly finding it completely quiet except for the snoring of my father. I didn't dare check in his room for fear of what I might find, so I made my way up the stairs and into my room. Tears still stained my cheeks as I sneaked in and climbed into bed. Once again, I curled myself up under the blankets and cried until I fell asleep.

The next morning, the soft pitter-patter of rain on my window woke me up and had me cowering under the covers as soon as I stirred. Often, the beating of pouring rain scared me into thinking my father was coming for me, but after I realized it was just the rain I was okay.

Yes, I was scared of rain, but you would be too if you were me.

Glancing at my clock, I found out the rain had woken me up a few minutes early, just enough time for me to take a shower, which I needed badly. So, I climbed out of bed and went to search my closet for something decent to wear. Finally, I picked out an old softball tee shirt I had bought during rec ball and a pair of washed out jeans. When I went into the bathroom, I realized I had slept in skinny jeans that I had put back on last night. I took them off only to find seams impressed into my skin. Sighing, I rubbed my eyes and turned the water on full heat. I double checked to see the door was locked, just in case, and stepped into the shower, letting the steaming water run down my hair.

I knew my father still expected me to cook breakfast for the family, but I refused to go to school. I hurt so badly that I could hardly stand up in the shower. Besides, he wouldn't care. School was a 'privilege' for me, but it was probably the only reason I was still alive. Yawning, I stepped out of the shower to brush my teeth and hair, but I decided to put it up in a sloppy bun atop my head. I didn't bother with mascara since I wasn't going to school and headed downstairs to start breakfast.

No one was awake, for which I was thankful, but I took out a pan. I cracked an egg into it just as Destiny sauntered in groggily. She rubbed her eyes, yawned, and sat in her usual seat. "Where's my eggs?!" she snapped. I flinched and turned the burner up, trying to speed up the cooking process. She shook her head and yawned again. "So how was your night, Danny?" she snickered.

I winced, froze, and closed my eyes. Shrugging her off, I continued to cook the eggs through. By the time they were finished, the girl my father had brought home and my father had come to sit at the table. Destiny and the girl were having a conversation despite the awkward situation. As I approached with the plates in hand, they stopped talking and stared at me. I set the plates in front of them and retreated back to the sink to wash the dishes.

"What happened last night?" the girl asked, holding her head and slightly swaying back and forth in her seat. "I was so wasted," she laughed, leaned back in her seat, still holding her head.

"Get her some pain killers." My father said, nodding to the medicine cabinet. I nodded and scurried over to it, pouring the pills in my hand and fixing her a glass of water.

I hurried over to the table and dropped the pills in her hand while setting the glass of water in front of her plate. I turned around to go back when I heard behind me, "Thank you." Astounded, I swept around to stare at her.

"There's no need to thank that slut." My father said, waving a hand in the air. "She's not going to answer anyways. Bitch," he said, rolling his eyes.