58

I scowled as I heard the doorbell ring, closing my eyes to hold in the tears. I proceeded to shake the cake mix over the cherries, ignoring the bell going off again and again. Just answer the door already! I groaned internally, refusing to answer the door to that cheater. Just as I placed the dessert in the oven and set the timer, my father yelled out, "Get the door!" I flinched; I knew that the wolf pack outside could hear it. I threw my oven mits on the counter, growling at them as I stomped towards the door.

I yanked it open, scowling at the brilliant blue eyes that I met. "Danny!" He said, smiling until he saw my expression. I barely glanced at his parents behind himI rolled my eyes, turning and starting back towards the kitchen. "Wait! Danny!" he called, but I ignored him. I felt him clawing at the wall around my mind, but still I chose to act like he was nonexistent. I snatched the knife off the counter and grabbed an apple. Still, he knocked and knocked as I sliced the apple in half.

"Danny, please just listen ta—" he began, placing his hands on my hips. I jumped, yelping as I felt him, the electricity; the blood dripping from my finger. Internally, I cursed him, setting the knife down on the counter and reaching for a rag, but it was already around my hand. I hissed at the hot water, pulling away from Josh, glaring daggers at him.

His face fell as he frowned. "Danny, I don't understand. What's wrong?" he asked, taking a step towards me.

I stepped back, grounding my teeth. Get away from me.

I cringed as hurt flashed through his eyes. He opened his mouth to speak, but I shook my head, averting my eyes. I made my way across the kitchen, rummaging through the drawer by the fridge in search of a Band-Aid. "Here, let me get that for you." He said, snatching it from my hand. I flinched, wanting to snap at him, but he and his stupid werewolf speed had already gotten the rag off and was drying the small cut. I hissed again, stepping back as he wrapped it around my finger.

"There, now that wasn't so bad, right?" he asked, his eyes innocent as he curled the trash in his fist.

I scowled at him again, pulling away. I tried going back to my job, but he grabbed my arm lightly, making me turn towards him. "Danny, what's going on? Why ain't ya talkin' ta me?"

I rolled my eyes at his innocent act and again tried to go back to what I was doing. And again, I got one step further before he whipped me back around to face him. "Danny, please! Did I do somethin's wrong? Did I—"

He stopped, raising an eyebrow as I pointed the knife I had grabbed from the counter at him. Go away. I told him, my heart rate rising.

He rolled his eyes. "Yer threatenin' me with a knife?" he chuckled, but his smile was soon wiped from his face. He furrowed his eyebrows. "Why are you threatenin' me? Danny, I would never hurt you."

Too late. I growled, but my spirit suddenly was gone.

I winced visibly as I heard my family's voice ring out. "Mr. and Mrs. Miller! Hi! How are you? Where's Josh?" Destiny asked, her voice rising as she switched into polite mode. I pushed the rag into his hands, frowning as I turned back to the apple, rinsing the knife.

"Hi, honey." Gail said, but I could tell she wasn't very happy. "I think he's in the kitchen. With Danny."

"Really? Well, I'd like you to meet my Daddy, Grant Kimble. Daddy, this is Josh's mom and dad." She said, making me flinch.

Josh let out a low growl as my father spoke. "Nice to meet you." he said gruffly.

"Hello, I'm Gail, and this is Peter. Nice to meet you as well." Gail said, but I knew her well enough to know that her real words were harsh.