60 Josh POV

Josh

My heart lay in pieces scattered on the ground. My whole existence strutted off behind her. How could I not have known? How did I not see? How did I not see the signs? Yet, it made everything make sense. The day she missed school. How different she acted after that day. Her unwillingness to trust me. Her skittishness.

But I wasn't about to let her retreat back to that again. I wouldn't let her get away. I bent to gather the shattered pieces and rushed after her. "Danny!" I called. "Danny, please, wait!"

I stopped once I reached the road, glancing around. I sucked in a breath as I caught sight of her, standing next to a grey van. Her hand rested on the door handle and her foot was halfway in the car. A gun was pressed to her temple. Alarm built immediately in my chest. As though she sensed my gaze, she turned. Her eyes were wide and her lips moved softly in a single word. Help.

The alarm heightened. "Danny!" I yelled, my feet thinking before my mind did. She gasped as she was pulled inside. The van began moving even before the door slide shut. I picked up speed, running after it. "Danny!" There was no doubt in my mind that she was being kidnapped. By whom, for what, and why, I didn't know. But someone was taking her away from me, and I would not stand for that.

I felt myself shifting before I had even considered the idea. Soon, my four paws were pounding against the asphalt, moving more quickly than before. Still, the van speed up, suddenly taking a sharp turn left into the woods. It teetered onto one side and I heard a scream. Danny. A strong pain flashed through my head, but it wasn't mine. I willed myself to go faster, but I only seemed to slow down. The driver pressed on the gas, and even I couldn't match. It soon disappeared from sight completely.

Even the trail ended abruptly at a wide creek. I pressed my nose to the tracks, memorizing the scent. I wadded into the creek, but there were no signs of tracks on the other side. I lost her. I realized with a start. I lost her.

I went back into the creek, sniffing the air. But the scent was gone. Not knowing what else to do, I lifted my muzzle and howled into the air. Hearing my own voice, I could clearly pick out the pain and the worry. I closed my eyes and called to my family, my pack.

My mother was the first one to respond. Josh, honey? Are you alright?

No, I replied, my breath catching in my throat. Danny's gone. She's been taken.

What?! Coffeeblue screeched.

I closed my eyes again, trying to grasp the reality of the situation. It didn't seem real. She couldn't be gone. By-by the creek. Pl-please come quick. All of you.

Immediately, I heard the assembly howl of my father. He was gathering the pack.

The water around my ankles rippled and I realized I was shaking violently. I had lost her. I had let her down. If only I hadn't tried to kiss her. If I hadn't told her that I loved her. If I had chased after her immediately. I could've saved her. I could've stopped them.

I was still staring into nothing when the water around me splashed, announcing the arrival of the pack. What happened? Iya yipped, whining, her ears flickering back and forth.

I raised my head, glancing at the tire tracks on the other side of the creek. We-we were fightin' wh-when she stormed off…

Fightin'? Alpha asked.

I hardly glanced up. She thought I didn't love her.

Cormac scoffed. Then what?

She-she was forced into a van… I-I tried to chase them, but…but they were too fast. I… I lost 'em. I…I lost her. I… she's gone. I closed my eyes again, gasping for breath to fill the growing hole in my chest.