49

Josh looked at me, turned back into his human form and intertwined our fingers.

"Well?" he asked, pulling me closer.

I blinked at him. "Uh… wow." I said. "Where'd they all go?"

"Fer a run," he nodded towards the trees. "Ta celebrate."

Someone cleared their throat behind me. "Not all of 'em," a female voice said.

"Mom," Josh whined, groaning.

I turned, blushing deeply.

"What?" Gail laughed, fluffing up her hair. "I gotta watch Hanna. I ain't gonna leave 'er, even if she's sleepin'."

"Mom," Josh repeated.

Gail glanced between us. "You better get 'er home, Josh. Before Peter comes back and gets on ya somethin' fierce."

"He'll get me anyways," Josh sighed. "Even if Danny ain't 'ere."

I opened my mouth to say something, but as soon as Gail's eyes flickered to me, my throat clamped. I'm sorry, I thought to Josh.

He sighed. It ain't yer fault, darlin'.

"I'll take 'er home, Ma." He said, pulling me back towards the truck.

"Alright," Gail called behind us. "See ya later, sweetie!"

Josh rolled his eyes and sighed irritably, walking quickly to his car.

"Are you gonna get in trouble because of me?" I whispered to him as he opened the passenger door.

He smiled weakly. "Probably," he admitted. "But don't worry 'bout it."

"But, Josh—" I said, but he had already shut the door and was walking around the hood of the car.

"Besides," he said as he climbed in. "He'll probably just give me a talkin' to. Nothin' that I haven't faced before."

"Ju—just let me talk to him, or—or blame me—" I stuttered, shaking my head.

"Danny," Josh said, shrugging. "Calm down, okay? It's really not that big a deal."

I gulped. "Are you sure?"

He waved his hand in the air before returning it to the wheel. "A course. I'm the 'alpha-in-trainin' as he calls it. Gotta be ready fer anythin'."

I scrubbed down the last of the dishes and glanced hastily at the clock—again. I dried the plate and put it up, running my hands over the towel. I ran upstairs and threw open my closet. Stepping back, I studied its contents. The morning light from the window floated in, highlighting the clothing.

My stomach knotted when I saw nothing that I could wear. I stepped forward and flipped through the hangers. I glanced in the mirror above the dresser and sighed, wishing that Coffeeblue or Iya were here; I needed help. This wasn't something I had done before. The only date I had ever been on was the picnic with Josh, but that wasn't dinner.

A bad idea suddenly popped into my mind. But it was the only thing I had.'

Reluctantly, I made my way downstairs, stopping outside the door. Slowly, I lifted my fist and knocked once. I bit my lip as I waited, shifting my weight from foot to foot uneasily. The door suddenly flew open. "What?" she asked.

"I, uh, need help…" I admitted, glancing down at my feet.

She raised a perfectly trimmed eyebrow and scoffed. "With what?"

"I have a date," I explained, smiling sheepishly.

"Why do you need my help?" she laughed.