64

"Anny! Anny!" Hanna barreled into the hospital room, her two braided pigtails flying behind her.

"Hi sweetie," I said softly, laughing to myself as she tried to climb onto the hospital bed. Her tongue poked out of her lips in concentration and she tried to swing her legs up onto the mattress.

"Up!" She insisted. "I go up! Up!"

The door opened again, but this time those familiar, beautiful bright blue eyes smiled down at me. "Hey, darlin'."

"Joshywa!" Hanna yelled. "Up! I want up!"

He smiled, chuckling as he picked up the toddler and sat her on the edge of my bed.

I held back an irritated sigh; I had been here for three days, and yet still no talk of leaving. Hanna beamed at me, tucking her legs underneath her and bouncing. Josh pulled her pigtails. "Why don't cha tell her the good news, Picnic?"

"Home!" Hanna clamped, squealing. "Home!"

I sat up, gasping even as the blood rushed from my head, making my vision spin. "I get to go home?!"

"Yes, darlin'." Josh replied, leaning down to kiss me softly.

"Yucky!" Hanna screamed, scrambling off the bed.

Josh laughed, glancing over his shoulder to watch the little one bolt out of the room, no doubt back to her family. He turned back to me, a smile in his eyes and on his lips. "How are ya feelin'?"

"Better now that I'm getting outta here!" I replied excitedly.

Josh smiled before sighing and sitting on the edge of the bed. "Honey… yer father… Grant tried to visit."

Horror flashed through me. "Wh-what?"

His hand curled around mine. "I didn't know what he wanted, but I refused ta let him in."

I sat back in the bed, sighing and closing my eyes in relief.

The door suddenly swung open again, making me flinch harshly. But it was only Hanna again, coming to tug on Josh's hand. "Let's gwo, Joshywa!"

Josh ruffled her hair, making her squeal. "Imma stay with Danny, Picnic."

"Otay…" she sighed. "See ywou soon?"

"'Course, Picnic." Josh said, turning her towards the door, and she happily scampered out.

"Hanna talks really well," I observed, "for a two year old at least."

Josh turned back to me, smiling as a chuckle escaped his lips. "She ain't quite two yet, actually."

My eyes widened. "But one year olds can't talk yet!"

He shrugged. "It's a wolf thing. In our early years, we develop faster than normal kids. In school, we're normally smarter. We grow up faster, and then eventually slow down to normal. It's the wolf's way to protect itself."

"Wow…" I whispered.

Josh turned serious, glancing down at our hands. "Danny… We, uh, we need ta talk."

I shifted uncomfortably in the bed, suddenly wishing I could stand and walk. "I'd rather not, Josh…"

"Alright," he nodded, stilling frowning. "Not now, I understand, but we've gotta talk."

I bit my lip nervously. "O-Okay…"

Standing, he turned to brush a piece of hair behind my ear. Instinctively, I wanted to recoil from the touch, but my body wouldn't allow me to. I was too attached to Josh to stay away from him for very long. I physically couldn't do it. I closed my eyes, breathing out a sigh as soon as his lips folded over mine. I would never tire of his kisses or the sparks when we touched. Pulling away, he whispered, "I love you, Danny."