Chapter 17

I wake up next morning to bright sunlight.

I am well rested and in my nightwear.

Who changed me? I stifle a yawn and jump out of my bed.

Time for school. Ugh, I hate it. Except for my friends, nothing interests me.

I open my door and find Damon waiting to pick me up for school.

"Goodmorning, sunshine", he greeted me, brightly.

"Goodmorning, sexy", I say, feeling brave.

"Haha, shall we go now?", he says.

"If you want to", I sigh.

Eventually, we reach school and find Elena, Caroline and Bonnie.

"Hey, Annette and Damon", she says sourly.

"Heyyy, Elena and girls", Damon says, mirroring her tone. "Come on, lets get to class", he says to me.

I feel uneasy with the attitude of the Elena, Bonnie and Caroline towards Damon.

"Why do they hate you so much?", I ask him, timidly.

"Well, I have a history of breaking hearts and being the bad guy", he states simply.

History of breaking hearts? I am afraid. What if he does the same with me? No, he won't, my heart says.

I think realization hits him and he becomes serious.

"Ann, I promise I have changed ever since I met you. You've changed my views. You are the ray of light in my dark eternal life", his voice rings with sincerity.

This is quite a lot to take in at school.

Simply, I say, "lets discuss it after school. My place", and I leave for class.

When i enter the room, the group is studiously ignoring me. They are talking to everyone but me. Looking everywhere but me.

Without a second glance at them, I take my seat and soon, the teacher enters. I open my book and pray for this dreadful day to be over. I do not want to be ignored only because I fell in love with Damon. They are my only friends here. I cannot bear to lose them. Maybe I'll talk it out with Elena tonight. And she may be able to convince the others.

Also, we have clear our pasts with each other. I don't have many but just harmless flings. For me. As for his past, I am sure it will be complicated. I hope to sort out any weak links between Damon and me. Between the group and me. Between Damon and Elena.

Incidently, the day passed in a blur and it was almost time for the final bell.

I have to face Damon's past today. Am I mentally strong enough for it?

I contemplate for a while and hear the bell ring. I rise out of my seat and exit the class.

Surprisingly, I find my car on Damon's space.

I sigh and reach to my car, start ignition and soon, I am out of school campus, heading to my house.