Chapter 1

*Truly just wanna pop in here and say this has got to be one of the worst stories I've ever written, so PLEASE read w a grain of salt and know i was a child when I wrote this*

•Sid•

It started off like a normal game. We were playing the Chicago Blackhawks and it wouldn't be an easy one to win.

We had to focus and play as hard as we could. I zoned out the cheers and focused on the sound the puck made when it slid across the ice and made contact with a stick.

Jonathan Toews was headed straight for me as I glided down the ice, the puck still on my stick.

I swung my stick back and before I could take a shot, I was checked into the boards by Toews.

My knee hit the board at a weird angle and I heard a faint pop. I fell to the ice, clutching my leg in extreme pain.

"Shit! Sid, you alright bud?" Toews said, dropping to his knees and checking on me.

Our trainer came running into the ice and by then, both teams had gathered around me. "Let me get up." I grumbled, grabbing Jonny's arm and trying to get up, only to have my leg give out on me.

"Fuck!" I yelled in frustration. I couldn't be out. Not in this game. Not for this season.

"Sid I'm so sorry." Jonny said, helping me skate back to the Pens bench, our trainer right next to me.

"It's okay Jonny. It was a fair hit, no biggie." I said, trying to shrug off the action, despite the increasing pain in my leg.

As soon as I was down the tunnel away from everyone else, I let out a cry of pain.

"Come on Crosby, let's get it checked out." our trainer said, helping me into the trainer's room. I flopped down onto a cot and grimaced, taking my skate off of my injured leg.

"Fuck." I muttered under my breath as an intense spasm of pain shot up my leg.

"Let's see what's going on here." the trainer said, examining my leg.

"Ow!" I said as they bent it. It was already swelling to twice the normal size and hurt like a bitch.

"Did you hear any sounds when it hit?"

"Just a pop." I said with a shrug. The trainer looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Hm. Well Sid, I think you may have sprained your knee. We'll need to take you to the physical therapists tomorrow so you can get it checked out and maybe begin to rehabilitate it." he said with finality.

"I would do it, but with all the other injuries, I'm afraid we're a little shorthanded."

"What about the game?!" I spluttered. "I have to go back in! I can't let my team down."

"You're hurt Sid. You won't be playing for a few weeks to a few months depending on how bad the damage is."

I sat down, frozen in shock. I couldn't be out for the season. I felt sick to my stomach at the thought of letting my team down. What kind of captain was I?!

"Someone will take you home Sidney. Rest your leg, ice for 15 minutes every two hours, here's and ACE bandage for compression, and you should have it elevated. We'll book and appointment at a physical therapy center for you for tomorrow."

I nodded, still not believing that this was happening to me. I was numb the whole way home and even when I walked into my apartment.

I absentmindedly grabbed ice and put the ACE bandage around my knee while stacking up some pillows for elevation. I flopped down onto my couch and switched on my tv to watch the rest of the game.