Chapter 12: The Deal

Past

Damon promised to keep an eye on Elena the following day while Stefan went to school. At lunch time, Caroline hurried to her car and drove straight to the Wickery Bridge. She parked her car then climbed down to the riverbank and looked up at the wood and tried to assess, for one, how the hell she was going to get up there and two, how she was going to get a little loose without damaging the integrity of the bridge. She was busy staring and didn't notice that Stefan had followed her.

"Caroline?" She spun around with a jump.

"Jesus, scare me to death, why don't you?" She gasped in irritation.

"Sorry." He acknowledged apologetically. "What are you doing?" He inquired.

"Uh... I'm... uh... I... I like to come here sometimes. For the... uh... peace and quiet. That's it. Peace and quiet." She lied and he chuckled.

"You do know that's the worst lie ever, right?" He examined her amused and she deadpanned at him making him snicker at her expression.

"Well, since you're here anyway, can you jump up there and pull me down a small plank of wood that won't interfere with the stability of the bridge?" She requested and he stared at her sceptically.

"Why?" He tested.

"Uh... I'm not telling you?" She flashed him a million dollar smile which made him laugh at her bluntness.

"Is this important for the future?" Stefan queried sceptically. "A piece of wood from the bridge?" He probed.

"Yes." She nodded.

"But you're not going to tell me why?" He questioned.

"No." She denied and he chuckled.

"Does Damon know that you're doing this?" He queried.

"No."

"Really? Why not?" He questioned.

"Because nobody was supposed to know about it." Caroline muttered.

"Do the people in the future know about this?" Stefan asked.

"Yes." Caroline nodded tiredly - was future Stefan this damn nosy? "Stefan, dear, either go get me the wood or go away so that I can try to figure out how I'm getting it myself." Caroline instructed deadpan and he chuckled at her being blunt again.

"Okay." He agreed amused by her clear exasperation with him then hopped up to the bridge.

Present

Stefan was full on laughing because her expression was so funny. He saw that his past-self was clearly really irritating her and he was highly amused.

"God, she's so funny." Stefan declared.

"What's going on?" Damon asked curiously trying to keep himself from sounding like he was desperate to know - in all honesty, he really wanted to know why Caroline was alone with Stefan... but obviously, he wasn't going to voice that out loud.

"She's at the bridge trying to get the white wood." Stefan replied.

"Mmm, she's going to put it in the shed so that we have some to make stakes with. She's not telling past-us, so that we don't move it in the year and a half between then and now." Damon revealed surprising them.

"That's clever." Stefan agreed.

"She is ridiculously smart, though. Her neuroticism makes her think ofeverything." Bonnie remarked proudly.

Past

Stefan got her a large plank of wood that he deemed merely decorative and not necessary for the support integrity of the bridge then put it in the trunk of her car.