Chapter 8: Blood High

Damon and Caroline stepped inside and found Liz sitting on the couch with a cup of tea.

"Hi, sweetheart. Oh, hi, Damon." Liz smiled.

"Evening, Sheriff." Damon greeted.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Caroline queried.

"Nothing. Only got in like twenty minutes ago." Liz answered.

"Did you check the ticket?" Caroline reminded her as she always had to nag her mother to check the tickets as she never remembered.

"Oh. No, I forgot." Liz replied. She went over to the book case, lifted the lid of a box and grabbed the ticket. She took a seat then changed the channel to the one showcasing the lottery numbers then went into tele-text for that evening's draw. "You know, it would be nice to even win like $100 some time." Liz remarked under her breath and Caroline and Damon glanced at each other amused. "Take a seat, you two." Liz invited. Caroline sat in the middle of the couch next to Liz and Damon sat on her right. "Okay, tell me the numbers."

"5. 16. 22. 28. 51. And the powerball is 34." Caroline read from the screen and Liz froze.

"I... I'll read them out to you." Liz said shakily.

"Uh... okay." Caroline granted.

"5. 16. 22. 28. 51. Powerball 34." Liz repeated.

"Yeah, that's what I said." Caroline agreed.

"Caroline... I was reading from the ticket." Liz stated bug-eyed.

"Wait, what?" Damon asked faking shock.

"You won?" Caroline gasped and Liz's eyes watered.

"One of you check it. My eyes are playing tricks on me." Liz shivered and Caroline took it from her then both Damon and her eyed the ticket and the TV screen, both matching numbers.

"You won!" Damon exclaimed.

"Oh my God!" Caroline squealed and Liz just looked stunned.

"I... I... I... can't have won." Liz negated in disbelief.

"You're a millionaire!" Caroline exclaimed and Liz just looked pale.

"No, sweetheart... you... you picked the numbers. It's your money." Liz encouraged.

"I bought it with your spare change from the mantle. It's yours." Caroline disagreed.

"Ladies, why don't you just split it?" Damon suggested.

"Okay." Liz grinned.

"Oh my God! You have to call the winners line!" Caroline beamed.

Present

Damon was full on laughing at the genius little blonde.

"What's so funny?" Stefan examined amused as it wasn't often that Damon laughed like that.

"Blondie bought Liz a lottery ticket and she just won millions of dollars." Damon admitted tickled and Bonnie and Stefan's jaws dropped.

"Wish I'd thought of that." Bonnie muttered surprising them that Bonnie wasn't pissed about Caroline doing that.

"They're going to split it. I doubt that Blondie's going to keep that much money to herself. She'll share it with you and Elena no doubt." Damon shrugged.

"How much did they win?" Bonnie tested.

"I don't know. The whole jackpot is $67 million but they'll get less than that." Damon advised and the other two looked shocked.