Chapter 22: Chosen

On the Wednesday after school, Caroline and Damon were sitting on her couch and he had his arm around her while she rested her head in the crook of his neck. His hand was drawing light shapes on her side and they'd been watching a movie on cable. When it was finished, Caroline flicked through the channels. She was about to flick again when her eyes caught the words 'animal attack' on the Mystic Falls news channel, so she left it. Two bitten bodies were found in the woods at a camp site and she looked surprised. When Damon didn't comment, she lifted her head from where it rested and looked at him.

"Something you want to tell me?" She smirked and he looked surprised that she wasn't fuming furious at him.

"Do you tell me every time you eat something?" He retorted and she giggled.

"Was that where you went on Monday?" She queried and he sighed and nodded. "Why were you so mad?" She asked softly running her hand down his cheek.

"Because of Stefan." Damon admitted and she looked surprised.

"Why? What did he do?" She questioned confused and internally he was shocked that she hadn't noticed.

"Stefan's into you." Damon disclosed and she stared at him for a moment then cracked up into laughter. "It's not funny." He decided but she still laughed.

"That's hilarious." She refuted amused.

"Why?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"Because you're so jealous for no reason." She teased and he shot her a look.

"Am not." He muttered.

"Are too." She countered playfully. "Is this just because he caught me when I nearly fell?" She examined.

"His hands were all over you." Damon retorted and she giggled.

"You're a cutie-pie." She stated amused then kissed his cheek and he shot her a strange look.

"You just found out that I killed two people and you're still calling me that?" He asked sceptically and she gave him a smile.

"You're still a cutie-pie regardless what you do." She disclosed and his stomach fluttered at her complete acceptance of him.

"You don't care that I did that?" He queried and she shrugged.

"I don't approve of you killing people just for unnecessary jealousy over Stefan, because that's just stupid, but I don't care if you kill people to eat." She clarified and he looked confused.

"That doesn't make sense." Damon remarked.

"Snapping because you think that Stefan has some little crush on me annoys me because you are in a relationship with me, not Stefan. You don't have to trust Stefan not to do anything, but you do have to trust menot to do anything." Caroline advised and he understood what she was getting at.

"But..."

"No 'buts', Damon." Caroline cut him off. "I am not a cheater, for one, and for the other, I wouldn't have told you that I love you if there was any doubt." She pointed out and he got butterflies again.

"Stefan always gets what he wants." Damon muttered and she smirked.

"This is the last time that we're having this discussion, so listen and listen good." She cautioned and he nodded for her to continue. "I'd have to be dead before I'd let Stefan touch me." She declared and his jaw dropped.

"Are you serious?" Damon questioned shocked and she nodded. "Why?" He probed confused as he'd never heard that reaction from a girl about Stefan before. Girls always fell all over Stefan - emotionally at least. He knew that he was the one that they fell all over for the physical side.