Chapter 14: Embracing Emotion

Caroline felt like it happened in slow motion but it couldn't have been longer than one second. She saw Logan, his eyes locked with hers, the watch compass was clearly pointing in her direction and she froze as he pointed the gun at her with the sheer shock that she felt. She heard the shot ring then she felt the most excruciating pain of her life in her stomach. It felt like fire mixed with her insides being ripped to shreds and she couldn't help crying out.

"I'm not a vampire." She whimpered then fell to the ground and Logan gasped in shock.

"No! Caroline! Caroline! Oh my God!" Logan shrieked as he ran over to her. Caroline sobbed at the blinding pain she felt.

"I'm human." She cried and Logan burst into tears.

"I'm so sorry. I thought... I didn't mean to... Oh my God. Please don't die." Logan sobbed then he yanked out his radio to call for help.

Damon was on the other side of the forest trying to keep away from the council. He'd overheard them saying that they were going hunting. He'd been keeping at a distance listening carefully to see if they could get a hold of Anna or the other guy. He was mildly surprised when he heard a shot ring out and a small scream. The scream was kind of familiar but he hadn't been listening closely enough to really pick up who it was. Hewas however surprised minutes later when he heard police andambulance sirens ringing out. He moved a little closer, keeping an eye on his surrounds to make sure that he wouldn't be caught.

He neared the road and the ambulance whirred past him on the way back to town and he wondered who was in it. He saw in the distance that Logan Fell was being handcuffed and put into a cop car and he felt really confused, so he moved a little closer. He spotted the compass in Logan's pocket, so he didn't feel like he'd be caught. He hurried over to a council member taking his stake out so that it looked like he'd been hunting too just as the police car with Logan drove away.

"Hey, what's going on?" Damon examined one of the men quietly and he looked at him sadly.

"You should probably get to the hospital, Damon." He suggested to Damon miserably.

"Why?" Damon tested confused by why he specifically would go to the hospital.

"I've never seen the Sheriff cry before." Damon heard another guy say to someone else.

"What's going on?" Damon asked worriedly because he could only think of one thing that could make the Sheriff cry and he just knew that the next thing that they were going to say would gut him...

"Logan had the compass and he came across Caroline." The guy explained and Damon paled because, no, dammit! This wasn't going where he wanted it to!

"And?" Damon pushed too loudly, seconds away from losing it.

"And he shot her by accident." The man revealed and Damon took a step back with the sheer shock he felt. He was frozen in place desperately trying to remember if he'd given her enough blood earlier to heal from that... but then he remembered the band aid. He hadn't!

"What?" Damon gasped. "How could..." Damon trailed off, blinking rapidly trying to comprehend it because although she acted like a vampire, thought like a vampire and mentally was a vampire... she was a human. A fragile human who could die. No, she couldn't die! He had to make things right! He had to have more time with her! She was perfect and he refused to lose her!

"Where's your car, Damon?" The man queried putting his hand on Damon's shoulder, cutting Damon out of his thoughts that were probably about to make him snap like a crazy person - everyone knew that Damon was dating her since the town liked to gossip.