Chapter 10: First Contact

What am I doing here?" Elena asked Caroline confused, finally recognizing her surroundings.

"You were left outside of the boarding house while you were turning." Caroline advised. "Stefan brought you inside." She added.

"Why does Caroline's heart beat fast and your hearts beat really slowly?" Elena examined the brothers confused at the difference.

"We're vampires too." Damon stated motioning to him and Stefan and Elena's jaw dropped.

"You didn't tell me that." Elena said to Stefan in shock.

"I wanted you to get to know me first. I wanted you to know that I'd never hurt you." Stefan said sadly. He was particularly upset about Elena turning. He hadn't meant for her to be targeted and was worried that his association with her was why she did end up being targeted.

"But... but what about Jenna and Jeremy?" Elena asked Caroline worriedly. Elena was trying her best not to panic but the world she knew was flipped on it's head and no longer made any sense to her.

"Elena, nice and calm." Caroline encouraged and Elena nodded again and focused on breathing because she knew herself that she was letting herself be controlled by her fear. "You'll stay here for a couple of days, until you're safe to be around them. Don't worry about them. They're totally fine." Caroline soothed. "You just need to focus on you for a couple of days." She concluded.

"Where did you get the blood you gave me?" Elena tested, not entirely sure that she wanted to know the answer to that.

"The first glass was mine." Caroline admitted and Elena looked stunned that she would do that, but she felt like she should have known that her best friend would be supportive like that. "You need to complete the transition on fresh human blood because it helps your control, so that's why I gave you mine. The second glass was out of a blood bag from the hospital. So, nobody was hurt in getting that for you." Caroline explained and Elena nodded.

"Can I keep drinking that? I don't want to hurt anyone." Elena pleaded with tears pricking her eyes because she still felt so confused. It's not every day that you find out that vampires are real - let alone that you now are one and you're drinking your best friend's blood!

"Hey, you're okay." Caroline pacified her comfortingly. "Everything's going to be okay." She promised and Elena couldn't help it, she moved forward and hugged Caroline because she just needed it. She needed the comfort and Caroline hugged her back tightly.

"Caroline." Stefan warned and Caroline rolled her eyes at the 'older' vampire - my ass, she thought.

"Relax." Caroline sighed. She rubbed Elena's back to calm her and the boys didn't see Elena's face change as her head was on the side way from them. Caroline wasn't remotely surprised when she felt Elena bite her and she made no indication of pain as she didn't want to make Elena feel bad. "Elena? Remember in fifth grade when we went to camp? And we made those bracelets?" She questioned just then the boys noticed that Elena was feeding on her and Caroline held her hand out to stop them as they'd started to move to get Elena off of her. "The 'friends forever' ones at the lake?" She asked and Elena yanked her head back away from Caroline, wide-eyed that she'd just bitten her.

"Oh my God... I... I... I... I didn't mean to..." Elena started to panic and Caroline took her hand again.

"I know, sweetie. You just turned. It happens. That's why you need to stay away from humans for a few days until you won't feel that immediate urge." Caroline said soothingly. "Just take a few deep breaths again. Calm yourself down again." She lulled softly.

"I'm so sorry, Care." Elena sobbed.

"Don't worry about it. Hey, just focus on being calm, okay?" Caroline smiled as she wiped a drop of blood away from Elena's chin with her thumb.