Part 29- $20 In Change

Song for this chapter: Counting Stars- OneRepublic
Elsie's POV:
"Are you going to get married?"
My eyes flew open, looking to Jason next to me.
"What kind of question is that!?"
"An honest one."
I sighed, pulling my legs under me. Jason and I were sitting on the floor at the foot of my bed, looking at pictures I had put in an album. A large section of them from Australia, and of Michael.
"I don't know, Jase. He means so much to me, and it surprises me that through everything we're still together. And he accepts me, panic attacks and all. I mean, yes, I can see us getting married, but not now. Not this soon."
"He seems like a great guy." He said. And just hearing that from Jason made me feel even more confident in my previous comment.
"Plus he watches superhero movies with me." I smiled big at him.
"Well then he's perfect for you, you nerd." He laughed.
"Jason," I cleared my throat, nervously, "what do you think I should do about mom? She isn't too fond of Michael."
"I hadn't noticed." He teased, making me laugh.
"So, what do you want to do today?" He asked, looking at me.
"I would rather stay home and watch movies then go anywhere, to be honest." I said.
"Yeah, same here. I'll go get some more comfortable clothes on and shower and I'll meet you in the living room?"
I nodded and stood up, putting the album back on my desk.
Jason walked back into his room, that mom and dad had quickly made up for him, moving some of the things from his childhood upstairs, and moving a bigger bed in.
I closed the door to my bedroom, the light seeping through under it.
I heard my phone ring so I ran to grab it, seeing a picture of Michael and I flashing.
"Hey, Mikey."
"Did you know I had $20 in change in a piggy ban hidden in my room? My mom just called me and said she found it. Random fact."
"Michael? Are you high?" I jokingly asked.
"Well, of course I am." He laughed, and I heard some yelling from his end of the line.
"Is that the boys?" I asked.
"Yeah. They miss you. When do you think you'll be back?"
"I'm going to stay here with Jason for a little while. I don't want to leave too soon."
"Understandable. Okay, Ash is hounding me to get off so we can play FIFA. I love you, Els."
"I love you, too."
***
"Elsie, can I talk to you?" I looked up to see my mother looking at me, her blonde hair tightly curled, ready for work.
"Yeah, sure." I followed her into the kitchen, picking up a mug to fill with coffee along the way.
"Is this Michael boy really worth it?" she asked, looking at me, concern in her eyes.
"What do you mean?" I almost choked on my coffee.
"Is he worth it? Not going to school, leaving home, is he enough?" She asked again.
"Mom, I know you don't think very highly of Michael, but he makes me happy. He's showed me a whole new life, out there. And it's what I want. He is what I want. I love him, mom. I do. And I believe he loves me. And I'm sorry if you don't see how I can fall in love with someone I met over the summer, on vacation, but I did. And bumping into him on that plane is one of the best things to ever happen to me." I finally looked up to meet her eyes with my teary ones. And as she came into focus, I saw tears forming in her eyes.
"I'm so sorry I've pushed you away. It makes me so happy that you are happy. If you love him, then I am going to respect that. I won't treat him poorly. I'm sorry." She stepped forward, hugging me. I squeezed her tight, not wanting to let go.
"Thank you, mom."
"No, thank you."