Part 17- You're Breaking My Heart.

Song for this chapter- Breath- Taylor Swift.

Elsie's POV:

I hung up the phone, feeling my body collapse inside, my heart sinking like a weight into my stomach.

The conversation kept playing in my mind.

**

"There's a new boy that moved in down the road." My mom said, laughing.

"Oh, mom. Um, about that. I met this guy here." I stumbled, my nerves getting the hold of me.

"Oh well, it will never work, honey, you know that!" She said, her annoyance clear.

"Yeah, but, we're together. And I think I love him." I choked out.

"What!? Love!? You don't know the first thing about love, Elsie Lynn! This is just a silly summer romance. You won't even remember him by the time you go off to college." She hushed me.

"What were you going to do when the summer ends, anyway?" She questioned.

"Well we hadn't really gotten there yet. I'm coming home and he's going on tour but we are going to vis-" she cut me off with a shriek.

"On tour? So he's in a band!? Well he's just going to be another singer and break your heart, darling. I want you to end this, before it goes too far."

**

With every step, I felt the weight of the world fall heavier and heavier onto my chest.

'It's for the best, darling.' Her voice kept running through my mind.

Was she right?

---

"I need to talk to you. Meet me at the beach."

I texted Michael, already driving towards the ocean in Dez's car. My tears were already streaming down my face. The road was blurry and frankly it was a miracle I made it to our usual spot.

I sat down, pulling my sweater tighter around myself. It wasn't cold, but I was chilled to the bone.

Headlights swept through the parking lot. Michael's silhouette getting out of the car and walking towards me. His keys jingled as he slide them in his pocket.

Was it possible he looked more beautiful in the moonlight now then ever before?

"Hey, Els." He said, a smile on his face as he walked up to me.

I watched everything he did carefully. Knowing this would be one of the last times I would see him.

"Wait, are you crying? What's the matter?" He asked, immediately running over to me.

"No, I-" I stepped back before his arms could wrap around me.

His eyes filled with hurt, a frown on his full lips.

"I think we should end this." I whispered, holding back more tears.

"What?" He asked, his voice cracking.

"It's for the best." I said, shadowing my mother's words.

"For the best? How is this for the best?" He whispered, stepping towards me.

"I don't know." I sobbed.

"Els, don't do this. Don't push me away." He said, his voice cracking once again, and tears filling his eyes. I looked up and met his green eyes, and I found myself falling into him again.

No. I couldn't. I had to do this.

"I'm sorry. It's over." I said, every fiber of my being disagreeing with me.

"Don't do this to me." Tears falling down his beautiful face.

"I'm sorry." I cried again.

"But I thought you said you'd always be there. What happened?" He asked, falling to his knees.

"Stop making this hard." I whispered, shaking my head.

"What happened?" He asked again, standing up and walking towards me.

"Goodbye, Mikey." I whispered, leaning forward and kissing his cheek, pulling away slowly.

I turned around and heard him cry from behind me.

"At least kiss me goodbye." He screamed. I turned around and ran towards him throwing my arms around his neck and kissing him. I gave him everything in that kiss. Everything. I tasted the salt from his tears on his lips, his hands held my waist. I felt more emotion in those five seconds then I ever have in my whole life.

But of course reality set in, and I pulled away. Shaking my head, I stepped back.

"You're breaking my heart." He whispered, looking me dead in the eyes.

"Stop." I cried.

"Don't leave."

"I have to."

I turned around, walking back to Dez's car.

I barely made it into my room before I broke down. I fell onto my bed, everything inside me hurt. Everything. I just wanted to sleep and never wake up.

I hadn't felt like this since Jason went missing.

I held the blanket close to me, hoping it would muffle my sobs so that Lily and Dez didn't wake up.

I had to do this.

I had to.

I just didn't want to.