When Everything Crumbles

I wake up and look around me. Debris everywhere. I notice Kaitlyn laying on top of a large piece of stone. I run over to her.

"Kaitlyn! Kaitlyn, please tell me you're okay." I say as I nudge her to wake up.

She moves and mumbles something.

"You're okay." I say, noticing that she's alive. "What did you say? What is it?" I ask.

"Joel, is that you?" She asks me.

"Yes, but how do you feel?" I ask.

"I.. I'm okay, I think." She says as she slowly pulls herself up.

I look her over and only find a few scratches, a pretty bad gash on her shoulder, and a big bump on the back of her head.

"You'll be okay." I tell her.

"Joel, look.. behind you." She says.

I turn, and out of the 14 of us that came, only 6 are standing, including me and Kaitlyn.

"Are all of you okay?" I ask.

A couple answer with muffled "yeahs or yeses," but others stay quiet, too shocked to say a word.

I go and check the rest of the bodies. All gone.

"Maybe this was a bad idea. Damon really did mess up this time. We're just kids" I say to myself.

"No, Joel. You're heroes. You did what even most of the teachers would not do. Even though the death toll is higher than ever already, we could stop this from ever having to happen again. Most of the staff have wanted to pull a stunt like this for ou whole time working here. Be strong." Says Mr. Dalvo, standing up after checking Mr Coplus's cold dead corpse.

After resting for a short time, the 6 of us head over towards a large rusty door on the far side of the room. I turn around and look at all the bodies and the ruins of the floor we stood on only hours ago. I turn back to the door. Pain and anger welling up inside of me, I feel power. My hands become enveloped in the dark power that came as a surprise so long ago. I direct my hands towards the door and the dark beams hit the door hard and start bouncing off, so I push harder. Now, the door starts to cave in where the shadows are hitting it. From behind, a young woman walks up to me.

"Want some help?" She asks.

I turn to see Chloe and her boyfriend, Gavin there to help.

"That'd be nice, and honestly, I've wanted to see your abilities in action." Says Kaitlyn.

I nod my head in agreement.

"Everyone stand back." Says Gavin.

Chloe puts her hands up towards the door. Though it is not moving, we have to believe that if it was, it would be frozen still. Next, Gavin thrusts a hand forward and the door blows up.

A small shockwave hits us, sending us to the floor. It's a good thing it did too, because pieces of the door flew everywhere.

We all stand up and look towards the area where the door just was. From where we are standing, we can see a large room. We go in.

Upon entering, we immediately notice a man levitating about 6 feet in the air. He sits in a meditation-like position with his eyes closed. His arms rest on his lap.

Before I can think of something to say, Kaitlyn speaks up.

"Hey! Who are you?" She asks the strange floating man.