Secrets Revealed

"Joel, get up" My dad says.

"I'm up dad, but why are you getting me up so early?" I ask.

"We're going to the store, and I want you to come with me because, ya know, we haven't had any quality time since you went to that academy" my dad tells me.

"Oh, well, ok. Let's get going" I say.

I pull on some clothes and take a shower. I run down stairs and my mom is making pancakes.

"Sit down young man. I know you have a little while before you go, so you can eat your pancakes this time"My mother says with a giggle, and then turns back around to flip the pancakes.

It's so nice to be back home, but I am wondering how the academy is doing. Are they gonna call and update us on what's happening?

"They're ready! Who wants pancakes?!" My mom asks.

My dad and I rush to the table as my mom places two plates of pancakes in front of us, and then drenches them in maple syrup.

"Thanks mom" I say.

"Thanks hun" My dad says, kissing her on the cheek then chomping down on a forkful of pancakes.

I dig in and the pancakes are wonderful, like better than she's ever made. After finishing my delicious breakfast, dad and I set out to the store. As we walk down the aisles, I notice a box labeled: Yoohoo. That was my favorite drink when I was younger. It's like chocolate milk, but so much better. Suddenly, I feel like a little kid again.

"Dad, can we pretty please get this? Please?!" I say holding up the pack of Yoohoo.

"Joel, don't act like a 5 year old" he says.

"Well I figured that would heighten my chances of getting this" I say.

"Well, it did. Put it in the cart, and let's go" he tells me.

We walk over to the checkout counter. The lady at the counter begins sliding our groceries across the scanner and bagging them up. My dad takes as many bags as he can and hands the last few to me. We toss the bags in the back and start the drive home. I turn the dial on the car radio and try and find a song I like. My dad pulls my hand of the dial.

"I don't wanna listen to that dumb music Joel" he says.

"It's not dumb!" I shout.

"Any music that isn't country is dumb" he tells me.

"Oh come on. You can't possibly hate all music but country" I say.

"I can and I do" he says.

I reach forward and turn the dial to my favorite station before my dad can stop me.
Immediately, my favorite band comes on. Panic at the Disco. Just as we turn on to our road, my dad tries to shut it off. I slap his hand, and that's when the truck went off the bridge. The truck is plummeting, moments from crashing into the river beneath it. My father reaches over and puts his arm over my chest. To my surprise, I find myself standing in the grass, eyes closed, listening to the sound of our truck falling into the water. How am I alive?! No, how am I not in the truck?! I look over to and see my dad staring down at his totaled truck.

"Dad, what just happened? How did we get out?" I ask.

"I uh, I, I teleported us out!" He says.