FORTY-FOUR

••••••••••

••••••••••

DECEMBER 24TH, 2017

CYNTHIA WAS STILL in her wheelchair, and she wheeled through the prison hallways.

She was going to visit Maya, because she wanted to get to know her. Maya had gone to jail after the kidnapping with Maisie, and was going to get out after three years.

"You have half an hour," The guard said to Cynthia, opening the door to the visiting room. Cynthia wheeled in, Maya frowning when she saw Cynthia.

"Hello, Maya," Cynthia greeted her, wheeling towards the table. She rested her arms on the ice-cold metal table, Maya doing the same. "Why the wheelchair?" Maya asked, motioning her hand towards Cynthia's wheelchair.

"I had a surgery to fix my hormones and get rid of the fire in my veins on the first day of December, but by mid January I should be up and walking again," Cynthia explained, then asked, "How are you?"

"Okay. I guess. My parents weren't too happy about this, but I'm only going to be here for three years. Which isn't too major, compared to what most people get for kidnapping someone." Maya replied, "And you?"

"I've been . . . Good. My family has been healing since our loss of my son's fiancée." Cynthia explained, and Maya's eyes narrowed, and she clenched her fists, then released them, sighing as she asked, "Did she return everything she stole from me?"

Cynthia nodded. "Jamie, my son who was engaged to Rylee, is currently keeping them. Since he's kicked Rylee out, Maisie, the girl you kidnapped, moved in with him," Cynthia reached across the table, squeezing Maya's hand reassuringly. "It took me up until yesterday for me to stop being mad at you. I've been meaning to visit you, but I didn't want to have a huge outburst."

Maya nodded quietly. "Understandable. I mean, I kidnapped a woman I've found out you consider your daughter. I kind of wish I could fill that role, as well."

"It's not too late," Cynthia said. "I still need to learn about what you did during our time apart. I know you were adopted by a very lovely couple in Hawaii, and from what you've told me, and from what I've learned, you don't seem like the type of person to do this."

Maya bit the inside of her cheek, saying, "It's really not. I just wanted you to finally . . . See me." She got up from her seat, and walked over to Cynthia's wheelchair, getting on her knees so then she would be shorter than her. "And . . . Now that you have, I realize that I have made . . . Such a bad choice getting your attention."

Cynthia bit her tongue, preventing herself from saying something bitter. She was an adult, and she needed to get her attitude in order, and she needed to stop getting so snappy at people. After a few more minutes of awkward silence and conversation, Maya's guard tapped on the door, and said, "Time's up. Say goodbye, ladies."

Cynthia took a deep breath, looking over at Maya and smiling. "Thank you for visiting me, Cynthia," Maya quietly said to her, smiling up at her. Cynthia smiled back kindly, replying, "I'll come back soon, Maya. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas," Maya replied, standing up and wheeling Cynthia towards the door. Cynthia wheeled herself towards the nearest exit, and out of the state prison.

↠↠↠↠↠

Cynthia wheeled up to the table, a bowl of rolls in her lap. Placing the bowl onto the table. It had been a family tradition since 1998 for Cynthia and her family. Bucky obviously joined in on their tradition when he came back to join them.

Christmas music softly played in the background as they smiled at each other making soft conversation as they passed around food platters. "I visited Maya today, in prison," Cynthia said aloud as she put turkey on her plate. Looking at Maisie, she continued, "Maya told me she regretted kidnapping you. I hope she's right."

"She better be," Maisie mumbled under her breath, and Jamie nudged her, softly saying, "Hey, let's not get too petty. It's Christmas."

"Please, let's not start a fight, alright?" Cynthia sighed. Millie squeezed her hand, and then turned back to their kids, and said, "How about we all just have a nice, family Christmas Eve dinner?"

"So, Jamie, how have your essays come along?" Bucky asked, and Jamie looked over, responding, "I think I'm going to be able to get another book deal soon. Hopefully."

"I went out looking for a part time job, just so then we could both afford the apartment," Maisie grinned at her mom, and then took another bite of her mashed potatoes. "Oh, and have you heard that Thor and I exchanged home addresses?"

Bucky choked on his turkey, and then grabbed his wine glass, chugging it as he hit his chest to clear his throat. After he stopped gagging, he wiped his eyes, looking at Maisie, and asking, "What? You have Thor's address? How does that even work? Does he even live here?"

Millie and Jamie covered their mouths as they tried their hardest to conceal their laughs. "I . . . " Cynthia started to say, looking down at the table and starting to laugh. "Bucky. Calm down." Cynthia put her hand on Bucky's, laughing as she squeezed his hand reassuringly.

Maisie's cheeks flushed as everyone laughed at the table, Bucky's cheeks flushing bright red as well. "That was a good one," Jamie said as he laughed, taking another bite of his turkey.

Looking around the table at his family, Bucky grinned. "You know, we've all come such a long way from where we were before." Bucky spontaneously pointed out. "And I'm proud of us. We've managed to get through so much, all of us. It . . . It makes me happy that I at least did something successful when I was the Winter Soldier."

Cynthia's eyes started tearing up, and she was grinning at him. It was rare when any of them talked like this. "I was only eighteen when I met you guys, and I was married to a man, and I had Maisie already. But then, Cynthia and Jamie made their American ways into our hearts, and it . . . It was great. I have never been so grateful for people who aren't blood-related to me," Millie admitted, "Not only that, but now I'm getting married to a woman who is so family oriented, and accepted by you all. And I'm thankful for that."

///////////////////////////////////

Welp. we only have one more chapter in this story until the last and final chapter of this story before I then continue on with the spin off/sequel, Shadow Run. 

i love this story so much, and i felt we needed a good, family moment. i know some of the chapters have been getting a bit short, but i promise i'll work extra hard and make these next two extra long. i'll brainstorm this next chapter, since i just figured out the ending :)

Until we meet again!

( edited 8/22/19 )