THIRTY-SEVEN

••••••••••

••••••••••

JULY 18TH, 2017

"SO HOW ARE you holding up?" Millie asked Cynthia, who smiled at her best friend, replying, "Well . . . Recovering. Adjusting. My memories are coming back in chunks, and I'm having to go through the difficulty of learning what was when."

"I remember when you were going through this with Bucky," Millie explained, "And now that I'm in your position . . . I can see why you had stuck with him. He really is a great man."

"Yeah, and you would know, with how I've heard he saved your ass right after I was taken from the explosion," Cynthia teased, "So you must know how much of a great guy. I just can't tell him how I'm feeling, with his fiancée, and all."

Millie furrowed her eyebrows, and then she realized Bucky hadn't told Cynthia about their relationship, probably in the fear he'd accidentally force her into it, and Millie said, "Oh my god . . . Tell me about this crush. Let's act young again."

Cynthia laughed, taking in Millie's excitement, and the two laid down on the bed, Cynthia confessing every little thing she loved about Bucky.

The way he scrunched up his nose when he laughed, the way he perfectly understood her, the ways he knew how to get her mind off things, when he talked about how much he was glad Cynthia had helped after his sudden realization of his past life, and how she helped lead him back to Steve, even if it was in a troubling way. "He's just . . . Everything I've dreamed of, and I haven't even told him yet that I named my own son after him." Cynthia said, grinning at the ceiling, Millie squeezing her hand.

"Has he told you anything about his fiancée?" Millie asked, and Cynthia replied, "Only one thing: That she's given him a family. And I partly wish I could have kids again . . . Damn me for being young and stupid, right?"

Millie let out a sad chuckle, saying, "There are surgeries to help you, Cynthia. If you want too, Tony could get you into the hospital for a visit to fix your hormones. They were able to fix Tony's ex-girlfriend—I'm sure they'll be able to fix you."

"That's the thing, I don't have the money, and I'm too afraid to ask someone to help me—I can't pay anyone back," Cynthia started, her voice cracking. "I blew my—Stephen's money before I moved to England, and then I had some of David's money, and then my own job, but then HYDRA happened. I've had a few jobs here and there, but nothing in the last two and a half years. I'm lucky that I own this apartment."

"Have you seen Tony, or Vision? I know you've seen Wanda, but apparently, Tony's been focusing on his work obsessively. Again." Millie rolled her eyes, and Cynthia sighed, replying, "I keep texting Tony, and trying to send notes to Vision, but I'm not getting anything back. Wanda tells me Vision won't respond because he's still guilty about dropping me when John was around, but all my notes mention that I'm not upset over that."