THIRTY-SIX

••••••••••

••••••••••

JUNE 30TH, 2017

CYNTHIA'S SOFT SNORES partially comforted the small group.

"Harold was found dead at least half a mile away from where you found Cynthia," Maisie explained, sitting down next to her mother on one of the three couches that were in the room.

"He died when the plane crashed, due to his parachute being broken, and his refusal for its use." Natasha replied, and the horrified looks on everyone's faces had almost every question they wanted to ask painted on it.

On one couch, Bucky sat there, with Jamie at his side, Rylee cuddled into Jamie's side. On another couch, sat Beck, Natasha, Steve, and on the last, Sam, Millie, and Maisie. All the couches surrounded the bed in the middle of the dim room. Soft music was playing, and Bucky was fidgeting with the rings on his necklace. "Was he . . . Trying to commit suicide, or kill them both?" Steve wondered quietly out loud, and Millie's eyes filled with tears, and she reached over, taking Jamie's hand.

Maisie asked, "Oh god, does Vision know? Or Tony, or Wanda? They'll . . . They'll want to see her. They were the ones who saw her last, besides Natasha."

In the months that Clara had been gone, it had caused Millie and Natasha to bond, Rylee to propose to Jamie, and Bucky to grow closer to Maisie, whom he considered his daughter, in a way. Cynthia had fallen asleep halfway on the way back to the S.H.I.E.L.D. base, still in Jamie's arms.

"I don't want to think about what he wanted to do to Cynthia, or what he did to her, I just want her to be able to safely recover, with no dangers around her." Bucky explained, squeezing Maisie's hand.

"Even if that means taking a break from the fight?" Steve asked, and it took a moment, but Bucky nodded. "Beck can stay with the family while she recovers, if possible."

"I know this isn't the time to say this, but I want to join in," Jamie suddenly said, and when Millie started protesting, Maisie interrupted her mother, saying, "I wanted to join in, also. Mom, I know you love us both, but the two of you have sheltered Jamie and I from the fight, and . . . We're adults now, we deserve to be in the fight as well."

"She has a point, Millie," Sam said, looking over at Millie. "If they want to be apart of the fight, then . . . Let them. They're both, what, thirty-four? They should be involved."

"If Jamie's going in, then I'll go in as well," Rylee said, looking over at Jamie. "I know martial arts, I can help train everyone. And Sam could help us, and Steve. So then Bucky can spend more time with Cynthia and Beck."

"Who can spend time with who?" Cynthia tiredly asked, yawning and stretching. She rolled over, facing the couches, her hands cradling the pillow. "I'll be leaving the fight so then you can recover," Bucky said to her, and she smiled, saying, "That's very nice of you, Bucky, but . . . Why would you even do that? I'm surprised I haven't seen Win yet."