NINE

••••••••••

••••••••••

FEBRUARY 11TH, 1989

THE STEAM FROM the hot water was enough for Cynthia to love this job since it kept her hands warm.

She worked as the dishwasher, since this place didn't have one, and everything would have to be worked by hand. After running out of so much money from the lot she had brought with her from New York, she knew she would have to get a job soon. David had come out to visit more often than usual, which Cynthia was glad for, because Jamie needed a good influence in his life besides his friends Maisie and Brett, and Millie.

"How are those dishes?" The head chef asked, and Cynthia blew hair out of her face, and said, "I'm almost done."

"Alright. After you're done, you can go on ahead home. Your next paycheck should be delivered to your mailbox this Friday." The chef patted Cynthia on the back as he went back to cooking food. Cynthia's schedule was working from six am to seven pm, and it was hard sometimes, especially with Jamie starting school.

After using one of the computers that was tucked away in the corner at the library, Cynthia hacked HYDRA to see if they had put anything on her. And all she found was The Summer Soldier. A woman who dressed in a sailor costume, and had taken down two cities, killing hundreds of people in the process. Cynthia felt a bit impressed but deflated, because she had killed people. And she still would, if they tried to hurt Jamie or Millie.

She couldn't help Bucky currently, with the position he was always in. He had to leave, he had to go, he had no choice. And that upset her, because she vowed that one day she would set him free somehow.

After finishing up the dishes, she took off her apron and gloves, setting her gloves in an open cupboard, and hung up her apron with all the other aprons. Cynthia grabbed her keys off the key ring, and went home.

↠↠↠↠↠

The next morning, Cynthia thanked the cloud gods that she had the day off. It was a Saturday— which meant she could spend the entire day with Jamie after hardly seeing him the entire week.

"Good morning, buddy!" Cynthia exclaimed, as Jamie tiredly stumbled into the kitchen, where she was making pancakes. "Mommy's staying home today. You are too, because it's Saturday, and we're going to go visit London!"

"We're gonna visit London? Is auntie Millie and Maisie coming?" Jamie asked, rubbing his eyes as he went and sat down at the table.

"They are! They're going to come over for breakfast as well-" A knock at the door cut Cynthia off, and she grinned at Jamie, and said, "That must be them!"

Taking the last few pancakes off the skillet, she turned off the stove, and placed the plate of pancakes on the table, and said, "When I come back, I can help you get some."