TEN

••••••••••

••••••••••

JULY 8TH, 1995

CYNTHIA'S HANDS COULD hardly reach the tall counter at city hall while she changed her name.

Persephone Seth Willingham

"And, you're sure you want to change your entire name? First, middle, and last?" The worker raised her eyebrows, peering over the counter at Cynthia, who nodded her head. 

"I've never liked my name, and with the abuse my step-father had put me through, I don't want it," Cynthia lied, shaking her head and taking a deep breath. 

"Very well," The worker handed Cynthia the rest of the court documents. "Fill these out, then Persephone Seth Willingham will be your official name." 

Cynthia smiled faintly. After two months, it was finally happening. After this, she was going to register Jamie for boarding school. Why was she doing all of this? Changing her name, sending Jamie away?

Because HYDRA was coming. And she knew that they would come for Rebecca Barlow or Cynthia Hayes. They wouldn't come for Persephone Willingham. And they certainly wouldn't come for Xavier King Willingham-Ford. 

Who was that? That was Jamie. James was just the name she had given him. Xavier was on legal court documents. And if HYDRA was coming for her, that meant they were coming for Jamie too. 

But she would never let them have him. 

She had seen Bucky/Win four times in the last six years, and she knew that they would always have a rocky relationship. But she would always cherish the notes he had given her. And all the others he had written. 

Once she finished filling out the paperwork, she went up to the counter, and said, "Thank you." 

Stamping a paper, and handing it to Cynthia, the worker said, "Have a good day, Persephone."

↠↠↠↠↠ 

"You're . . . Sending me away?" Jamie asked, his eyes looking up from the paper and up at Cynthia.

"No, no, nothing like 'getting rid of you,' sending away. People are . . . Coming for me. If they know I have you . . . They'll come for you too." Cynthia replied, squeezing Jamie's free hand. 

"Is Maisie coming with me, then? Like, to this school?" Jamie asked, and Cynthia nodded. "Millie will stay with me. Maisie's going with you." Cynthia replied. "This school is in South Africa."

Jamie's eyes widened, and he sputtered, "That's so far away!"

"I know, I know," Cynthia replied, and Jamie realized, "Agh, this is why you made me my favorite food for dinner." 

"Yup. Because you were going to need to digest something good before getting some life changing news." Cynthia replied, taking their plates. "Which, are you up to more French toast?"

"We might have to save it, actually. Is that okay?" Jamie asked, and Cynthia nodded, and Jamie said, "When do we leave?"

"Well, school starts September 8th, so you'll be leaving on the fourth." Cynthia explained. "It gives the . . . The both of you time to . . . Adjust." She put both hands on the kitchen sink counter to steady herself. For the past eleven years, they had been safe. They'd been safe, tucked away in this small town, with Millie, and Maisie, and all of their friends, with the movies and music and schools and safety and peace. With life.

Cynthia didn't want to give it up.

For the first time ever, she'd been able to have a normal life. No abuse, no one controlling her life, no fear ever looming over her head everyday. She had freedom, she had friends, she had love. She had Jamie, and her new found family.

And because of the stupid mistakes she had made all those years before . . . These were the consequences.

Two small arms snaked around her waist, and she turned, wrapping her arms around Jamie's small body. He had always been scrawnier. But that was okay—neither cared. But now both Jamie and Cynthia were crying now, and Jamie had never known the truth about her past.

"I don't want you to leave," Cynthia whispered, sinking to the floor. Jamie sat down next to her, resting his head on her shoulder. "I really, truly, don't. And I don't want to have to leave this safe place."

"I'll always be with you, mom," Jamie said. "I'll always be with you. In your heart. My teacher taught me that. She says her husband is always with her, in her heart, even if he's not there with her." 

Cynthia cried more when she heard that. "And you'll always be with me, Jamie. My love, you'll always be my first priority."

///////

NOT LYING I STARTED CRYING WHILE WRITING THIS 

THIS IS SO SAD

(edited 11/28/17 )