SIXTEEN

••••••••••

••••••••••

JUNE 1ST, 1996

CYNTHIA KNEW TODAY was different. 

From the moment she woke up, she first noticed that her breakfast was hotter than usual, and that the guards were acting different. She had sniffed her food to make sure it didn't smell too sour or too sweet; knowing her body would heal itself faster than the poison would kill her. But her food was no poisoned.

"Beck, would you be a dear and tell me why I'm supposed to be wearing my fighting uniform on a Saturday?" Cynthia asked after she pulled up her socks. 

"Wish I had the answer, Cynthia," Beck replied. About two days after Peggy had visited, John's nightly visits started again, along with her three meals a day. Cynthia hated John deeply, yet was glad she was being fed again. She hungrily ate up all three meals the first day she got them back, and did more acrobatics than usual to celebrate.

John would sometimes stop by during the day to watch her swing or twist through her sheets swiftly. He'd watch her like she was his doll. Which, she had to pretend she was. 

Cynthia cursed herself nightly for giving up to John on her first day at HYDRA. But she would never get her first day or fight out of her head. David's death, Bucky being electrocuted, and then looking at her like she was nothing. Like he had each and every time they fought. And Cynthia hated it.

"My doll! You look nice," John's voice echoed through the building as he clapped, making Cynthia jump from the sound and all the guards look at him out of the corners of their eyes. 

"Well, I was told I had to wear my uniform today. Any reason why? I didn't think I did fights on Saturdays," Cynthia replied, walking towards the side of the cage John was standing outside of.

"That's where you're wrong, my doll," John replied, "Because, today is different!" 

Cynthia watched him intently, waiting for him to explain. "We're throwing a going away party for you." 

At this, she furrowed her eyebrows. "A . . . Going away party?" She repeated doubtfully, and John gave her a fake sad smile. "Yes, my dear. You're going away, unfortunately. It wasn't up to me, though, it was up to the big guys." John paused, and Cynthia could see the angry look in his eyes. "But, to celebrate your journey here at HYDRA, we decided to let you and Bucky have one last get together."

"You mean, fight?" Cynthia corrected him, and John rolled his eyes, snapping, "Fight, get together, whatever the hell you call it." 

Cynthia huffed in annoyance, and replied, "Well, when does this shit show start?"

Turning to face Cynthia again, John grinned maniacally, and replied, "Now."

↠↠↠↠↠