TWENTY-EIGHT

••••••••••

••••••••••

DECEMBER 29TH, 2016

NATASHA THOUGHT ABOUT it again. And again. And again until her brain couldn't think about anything more.

Why. How. Being in love with someone who loved someone else completely was one of the hardest things she had been grappling since Cynthia's arrival. It was even harder when she mentioned the ring—that Nat wouldn't admit to purposely ruining.

She hoped that by dropping the "team," thing that Bucky would perhaps notice her again. Cynthia wasn't the only one with a special background with Bucky. When he had killed the scientist through Natasha, he actually helped her. He took care of her, stitched up her wound, and then sent her on her way. He was the Winter Soldier, and he couldn't be caught again acting like this, he told her.

But then, a year later, they ran into each other again, and spent the night together. But she had taken it for granted, as he left early in the morning, only to not even know who she was a complete year later. She sighed deeply, and then in a burst of anger, swiped her arms across a desk, sending everything off of it.

"Natasha?" Bucky's voice came from behind her, and she froze, taking hard breaths. "Um... I wanted to, uh, talk to you."

"Why would you talk to me, when you have her?" Natasha sourly replied. Then taking another deep breath, she sat down on the desk, and then said, "Sorry. I'm just... Having a hard time."

In his one hand, Bucky was holding a mug, and he sighed. "We... Haven't done anything with each other, Natasha. You're... You're my friend."

"And she's the one you love, I know," Natasha replied, looking him in the eyes this time. "Besides, you're the father of her child."

"Adoptive, but yes." Bucky explained, coming over and sitting next to her on the desk. "Cynthia and I weren't romantic until 1989. We had known each other for ten full years by then."

"No love at first sight sort of of thing?" Natasha jokingly asked, trying to lighten the mood. "No, god, no," Bucky replied, "I tried killing her when I met her, and then I broke into her apartment the second time I saw her, and proposed a job to her, which resulted in her stabbing me in the neck with a toxin, and her ending up agreeing to the job. So no, there was not any 'love at first sight' sort of thing. And if I hadn't proposed that job to her... She wouldn't have killed anyone, that's for sure."

"You know... I only hate her because she has everything I don't. She has... You, a son, and all these people that she's known for over thirty years who love her so much. And then she's better than me at fighting. And she knows mechanics, and other languages..." Natasha shook her head. "Hating her was the only petty resolution I could come up with when I met her, and I stuck with it because you came back."