Chapter 26: Breaking Apart

Something is off. Derek isn't answering any of my calls or texts, and Damon has been too happy.

I decided to visit Derek at the loft.

When I got there he was sitting at his desk looking over a map.

I knocked lightly and he looked up. I grinned.

"Hey stranger.", I said smiling.

He just looked back down at the map. I walked over and saw it was a map of the city.

What would he need this for? Hmm... Odd.

"What's going on Derek? It's like you've been ignoring me for a couple days, I've tried calling but you never answer."

"Not everything can be about you Luna. I've been trying to find this alpha pack, find Erica and Boyd, and protect your brother. I don't have time for you too."

My breath caught in my throat.

Is he doing what I think he is?

"Are you- are you breaking up with me?", I asked my voice shaky.

"I can't be involved with someone right now Luna, especially not a witch.", said Derek emotionless.

"That's not what you said the other day when you and Damon fought! You said you loved me and now you're saying that you don't have time for me!"

I took a deep breath and calmed down.

"Okay fine, I'll just leave."

I got into my car and drove, drove to the woods where it all started. It was hard to drive because my eyes were blurry with tears. Instead of holding them in, I let them flow.

My grandma used to say tears were poison urging to get out, she said it was good to let them go free.

Why did he have to hurt me? I love him.

This made me cry even more. I was glad I was alone, that no one could hear me.

When I got to the woods I went to our spot.

There was a black box with a note on it.

Dear Luna,

I got this for you, for your birthday. I don't think it matters now but I don't know what to do with it so here. I'm sorry things couldn't work out anymore, it's not you it's me.

Derek.

It's was hard enough him breaking up with me, but he's giving me it's not you it's me!

I drove back over to Derek's with the box and note looking like a mess. I slammed open the door.

Peter, Isaac, and Derek looked at me with a startled expression.

I threw the box at Derek not caring if it hurt or not.

I stormed up to him and slapped him across the face, he didn't even flinch.

"What is this?!", I yelled at him holding up the note.

"A piece of paper with words on it darling.", said Peter with that annoyed expression.

"No, really?", I asked sarcastically.

"If you're going to break up with someone don't use the whole it's not you it's me thing!", then I stormed out of the loft feeling like a complete fool.

I drove back to the apartment complex and took a long, hot shower. When I got out I was in sweats and a t-shirt, Damon was laying on the couch.

"Hey beautiful, I heard. I'm sorry."