Chapter 16

Augustus's Point of View

It has been years since Gus was born. I have been watching over everyone since that very moment I came here. Here. Here is the place where I have been. I wish I could talk to Hazel and make sure she knows it is not oblivious up here. It is so beautiful. It is like Amsterdam, but ten times better. I have met so many amazing people up here who have passed away from so many different things. My best friend is actually a basketball player who died from a car accident. 

The best part is that I have two legs and I am able to see the world in a whole new way. I just experienced a beautiful moment with my son. I know he felt the touch of my hand on his shoulder. He wasn’t afraid, or curious, or upset. All I know is that even though he has never felt my touch, he knows who I am and where I am. I am with him through everything he does. We have such a connection. I actually love watching him play video games with Isaac. I even crack jokes and Hazel will laugh, even though she never heard it. They don’t know completely that I am always watching and that I can do incredible things here, but all I care is that they will all be here with me someday. 

Watching Hazel is like watching the stars shoot across the sky; fascinating and beautiful. I love everything Hazel does, except the fact that I have seen her talk to other guys. She actually kissed Isaac one time. . . I wasn’t happy, but I think it is best for her to move on. Who wants to be an over-attached boyfriend or girlfriend? I’d rather swing on a swing set that I joke around about being a pedophile, than having an obsessive girlfriend. 

“Augustus! Heads up!” I hear someone shout behind me. I duck my head and a basketball shoots right over my head. I get up and turn around, laughing. 

“Nice shot. How about we play some one-on-one?” I challenge by best bud, Sam. He was also a varsity basketball player and fan of my favorite teams. He died in a way I wish could have changed. He was killed by putting a lit killer in between his chapped lips as they begged for him to stop because it was tearing him apart, piece by piece. Some bad things should permanently be metaphors.

“I don’t feel like it. . .” Sam says. I sigh and before I know it, Sam has already dunked the ball. I forgot to mention how much of a trickster he is. Who would’ve known? 

“You wanna play like that, huh?” I say. I rush to the ball and both of my working legs and strong bones push and pull and do it’s weird body mechanics. I easily score a basket. Having two legs sure is amazing. Right as I appeared here in my heaven, I knew it wasn’t what I imagined it like. It was beautiful and real. I knew I could be happy. 

“Not too shabby, huh, lover boy?” Sam jokes. He tosses the ball to me and I easily spin it on my finger. Nothing is impossible up here; I could probably spin hundreds of balls at one time. . .

“Lover boy? I could easily pick out some nick names for you now.” I start thinking of some nick names for Sam when he walks up to me.

“It’s the way you look at her.” Sam says. He tilts my head to the side and I see Hazel. She is holding a book and the hand of our son. “That, my friend, is what you call true love.”

I walk farther into the growing room getting more detailed by the second, until I am completely in the room and Sam is gone. All I hear is the sound of food moving in a picnic basket, the constant giggle of a small kid, and the weird shit coming out of a blind man’s mouth. 

“Mom! Is it real? Do you think these are real bones?” Gus asks. He rushes over the the sculpture of the funky bones. 

“Bones don’t look like—” Hazel starts before Isaac interrupts. “Yeah, they belonged to a giant!” 

Gus gasps and looks at every detail of the sculpture. I laugh and Gus laughs too. I get a feeling of something I cannot describe. It amazes me how everything works. Does Gus know I laughed? Was it a coincidence? Questions boggle my mind and they need answering, but for now, I don’t care. I want to enjoy this moment. The moment Isaac teaches my son some shit. Typical Isaac. I will probably thank him one day, though. After all, he did attempt to teach Gus how to play video games for the blind. That even took me a while to understand. 

Hazel covers an area of the grass with a picnic blanket. She helps Isaac sit down and calls Gus over to sit down too. He jumps out of a tree and runs to Hazel. I let out a laugh. I wish I could spend time with him on Earth. 

Hazel gets all the food out and makes a plate for everyone consisting of sandwiches, watermelon, chips, and soda. Hazel lifts up her soda can for a toast and tells Isaac and Gus to do the same thing, so they do.

“For a beautiful day,” she says. They all clink their cans and take a sip. I sit down with them and a huge smiles goes across all their faces, because at this moment, we are all here together and nothing can break us apart. We are infinite. 

I hope you guys liked this chapter! Thank you everyone for remaining patient. I am so sorry for not updating in a while! I love all your ideas! I am not the best writer, so bear with me. 

I got so many requests to do a chapter in Augustus's POV so this chapter is dedicated to the following people who mentioned doing this POV:

ILoveThose5Aussies

Summerskiss

Thanks so much for the amazing comments! I love you all and I promise I will update frequently.

xoxo