Chapter 1

December 5, 2018

Hello, TFIOS fans! This is my first update to this story in four years... WOW. I apologize for never updating or correcting this story. I am a college nursing student with lots on my plate and an increased knowledge on medicine, cancer, and pregnancy. With this knowledge, I have recognized the plethora of grammatical and medical errors, but I find I do not have the interest to edit this story. Therefore, If you do not mind these faults, please enjoy this story I wrote and I hope you can use your imagination to make it sound more believable. 

If you have not read The Fault in our Stars, don't continue reading because the first sentence gives away the book. . . well, enjoy!

It's almost been a month since Augustus Waters died. I have visited his grave everyday, wishing he was still here so I could tell him about Peter Van Houten and how Anna, in An Imperial Affliction, was based off of his real daughter who died of Leukemia.  

I have wished I had died instead of him because he has much more in life. He wasn't a depressed boy who wasn't good at making friends. I wish I could have died too, so we could be living together. I still worry about him since he fears oblivion. I hope there is some kind of afterlife he is happily living with two legs right now.  

I am still on my oxygen and I have not been to the hospital in a while (the last time was before traveling to Amsterdam). I've gotten headaches and cramps and morning sickness. It's not something that usually happens but it's probably cancer. I do not want to go to the hospital because it reminds me of Augustus, how he visited me. I won't have him hold my hand if I'm ever in the hospital again. 

My period has been late and I have been ignoring it, I was diagnosed with cancer some time after I started my first period. I don't tell my mother much of anything, nor my father. I tell everything to Augustus once I retreat to his grave after school. I usually spend my time in Augustus' room with his parents, helping out with all the cleaning and tears.  

Isaac is still blind as ever and we have not been to The Support Group in a while because it's too hard on me because there is no Augustus Waters for me to glance at while Patrick talks about his testicular cancer.  

Everyday, when I get home from Gus's grave, I sit down on my bed and write to Augustus. I don't know why I do it, but nobody knows but Augustus and I. I cry every time I close the notebook, I wish I was still with Augustus.  

Augustus-  

I turned seventeen last month... I cried the whole day because you weren't there, sorry. I don't know what to say besides the fact that I think and wish I am dying. My cramps and headaches are terrible. I don't want to tell my parents because they will take me to the hospital.

I cry writing the letter yet continue, leaving tears on the paper.

I got to go now, these are hard to write but I want you to know that I love you and won't stop loving you.  

see you soon, Gus. 

-Hazel Grace Lancaster

I close the notebook and cry harder before I feel like I am about to puke. I run across the hall and reach the toilet in time, puking.

"Hazel!" my mother yells running up to me. Damn, she's going to take me to the hospital.

"I'm fine." I say weekly, falling down to the side of the toilet.

"No you're not, Hazel." 

"I said I am fine!" I yell before puking into my lap.

My mom dials something onto her phone and I try to grab it from her but she is already on the line with the hospital.