Chapter 15

Gus and I usually go over to Isaac's during the week. I will sit down and read while Isaac attempts to teach Gus how to play his video game that was modified for the blind. Today, we are going over to Isaac's because he said he needed someone to play video games with. I call that crap. 

"Isaac!" Gus yells. He runs into the living room and squeezes Isaac. "Can you see me?" 

"Gus! Stop asking that!" I retort. He always asks Isaac if he can see him. Isaac doesn't care, but I don't want him to get any more upset that he is blind. 

"It's fine, Hazel." Isaac laughs. He makes his way to the couch and I sit opposite them. I take out my book and open it up to read, but Isaac cuts in. 

"Still reading that?" he asks. I nod. I have been reading An Imperial Affliction for the past few months. It's been years since I have read it, so I decided to read it over and over again so I can bring up the old memories. 

"Do you want to turn on the game, Gus?" Isaac asks. Gus immediately jumps off the couch and grabs the remote, turning the TV on along with the computer attached to it. The computer stayed black, as always, and I mouthed along with the deep voice that says the title of the game, "Deception."

"One player or two?" the voice asked. 

"This is player one and I am extremely sexy." Isaac says. He says that every time, just worded differently. 

"Player two, identify yourself."

"I am player two! I am way more sexy than the other person!" Gus says. He giggles and Isaac gives him a nudge. 

The game begins and Isaac leads Gus through most of the game. Max Mayhem and Jasper Jacks, the players, are in a room and Gus always jokes around and says random things to the game. Towards the end of the game, Mayhem and Jacks are in the cavern and they hear the cries of the prisoner. The only way to free the prisoner is to win the game, but Gus still doesn't understand that. 

"I hear the prisoner! Save him!" Gus screams. I plug my ears preparing for the freak out Gus usually has at this part of the game. He gets to wiled up and ready to save the prisoner, the game usually freezes or the characters die. 

"No, Gus! Keep playing! If we win, the prisoner is safe!" Isaac says. Isaac starts saying things to the tv when Gus hears the prinsoner wailing again. 

"Save the prisoner!" Gus yells repeatedly until the game freezes and dramtically ends with, Game Over

"How many times do I have to tell you!" Isaac laughs. "You have to win the game to free the prisoner!" 

"What?" Gus asks curiously. For some reason, Gus never understands the whole concept of this game, yet he insists on playing it. 

"Never mind," Isaac says. I laugh and set my book down on the floor. Gus walks up to the couch and picks the book up. 

"The marks people make are scars," Gus says. I immediately know what he is talking about even though he got some of the words wrong. The marks humans make are too often scars, a quote from Peter Van Houten. I try to hold in the tears and the flashbacks. I am about to cry when Gus tugs on my shirt. 

"Where did you learn that?" I ask him. He smiles and opens up my book. He pulls out a folded piece of paper and unfolds it. It is the letter Augustus wrote for Peter Van Houten. I have kept it in the book for years, and this is the first time I have seen it in years. It has been too hard to even look at the book, but I knew I could handle looking at it, so I had taken the book out from under my bed and read it again. 

"I want to leave a mark," Gus reads, stumbling on the words, "The marks humans make are too often scars." I take the paper out of his hand and pull him close. 

"I promise I won't ever leave you, Gus." I say. Tears fall from my eyes and Gus looks at me and smiles. I see Augustus in his eyes and for a moment, I actually think it is Augustus. 

"Hate to ruin a moment here, but Gus can read?" Isaac asks. We all laugh, except for Gus. He looks at Isaac sternly.

"I am seven and three quarters! I can read!" he yells at Isaac. Gus runs up to Isaac and tackles him. Isaac reacts and starts tickling him. 

"Remember Gus, I can't see." Isaac reminds him. "I don't really know where to tickle you." 

I laugh and pick Gus off of Isaac. "Let's all go out for lunch." 

"Where would we go?" Isaac asks. He reaches around him and I grab his hand, helping him up. 

"How about a picnic at the Funky Bones?" I ask. Gus looks at me like I am crazy.

"Bones are supposed to be in your body!" Gus says. He looks grossed out and nods his head until I explain to him what it is, yet he doesn't exactly get it. 

"You'll love it!" I say to Gus. I take Isaac and Gus to the car and as I drive, I realize when Augustus came into my life, it was as if the puzzle pieces of my cancer ruined life were put back together. Then he died and that puzzle was ruined. Now that Gus is here, I can put that puzzle back together by bringing back all the memories and making them reality. 

Sorry for the late update! I actually wrote the chapter yesterday, but wattpad froze and I lost the WHOLE chapter! I am so sorry! I hope ya'll like this! 

P.S. I edited Chapter 3. You might want to re-read it or peruse it(: I am in the process of editing the other chapters!

Thanks to everyone for reading this and giving me amazing feedback! I love you all so much!