Chapter 8

"Gus, please go to sleep." I say tiredly as I rock Gus at three in the morning. He's six months, but still wakes me up every night and won't let me get some sleep. I already feel dizzy and out of breath, Gus sure does know how to make me feel worse. 

I feed Gus and watch him blankly. His dark hair is growing in fast and his blue eyes are beautiful, just like my love, Augustus. He's been gone for more than a year. I wish I could see him again and see his handsome face and cuff it between my hands and kiss his soft lips. It's hard loosing your only love, most of life is hard. I thought I was the one who was going to die first; apparently not. 

Gus falls asleep in my arms with his hand gently clasping the bottle with his tiny fingers. I woke up for him to drink half his bottle and fall asleep within five minutes. Before I reach my bed, I feel dizzy and hear a big thump along with an aching head. 

"Hazel!" my mom says scaring me. I look around to see the faint surroundings. Very familiar, the hospital. What am I doing here? Is Gus okay? Questions squirm around in my head until I hear the faint sound of Gus crying. 

"What am I doing here?" I ask. My mom and dad are sitting with Gus near my bed. 

"You fainted last night, there is some liquid in your lungs, Hazel." my mom says softly. She looks concerned, but I don't see why. I have had liquid in my lungs, the doctors were able to succesfully remove it. 

"This has happened before, it's not like-" I get cut off by my mother, "No Hazel, this is more serious than the past. It's a lot of liquid in the lungs and the cancer has spread throughout your bones and lymph nodes." 

I hesitate to speak before opening my mouth as to say something. Instead, I burst out in a puddle of tears. I can't die! I haven't even seen my son turn one year old.

"Hazel, it's going to be alright." my father says rubbing my hand. 

"I can't die." I mumble loud enough for my parents to hear, causing them to become more upset. 

"You won't, Hazel. There's some therapy and maybe even a succesful surgery." my dad says. I don't even look at them, I just sit calm staring at the wall with my tears streaming down my face. 

"There's a surgery where the entire thyroid will be removed. It's a procedure called a total thyroidectomy." A doctor says walking into the room, as if he had heard our whole conversation. 

"I'll do anything to live." I say calmy. 

"There is a side affect, called hypoparathyroidism. It could cause mutiple side affects like weakness, swelling of the hands, and muscle cramps." 

"Mom, Dad?" I look at them wiping my tears off. This surgery is a little risking, and I know I have said that I wished I would have died instead of Augustus, but now life is more important than anything. 

"We'll do the surgery." 

I hope you liked this chapter! I can't even believe I have hit 1,000 reads and 35+ votes! You guys are amazing! I apologize for any chapters that people don't like. This is what I think would happen if Hazel got pregnant. I came up with this idea, and I am trying my best to write it as good as possible. There are some things I have to fix and once this story is completed I will go through the whole story and edit everything. Maybe even add an extra chapter(; 

I had writers block and had to do a lot of research, so please don't be disspointed with this! Thanks for your patience! 

Vote, Comment, and Follow<3

-isabelle