Chapter 24

Magnets 24

Chapter 24

About 4 months later-

Roman POV~

"Stay still!" Summer scolded. "There. You're done." Summer, Beatrix, and Violet stepped back and smiled at me. They'd primped and prodded me for hours in preparation for the Victory Tour. Jarrett came into my room and looked me over.

"Mmm, here." He pinned a piece of my hair into place. "She's perfect." To kick off the Victory Tour in District 12, I was wearing a plain blue dress that came to my knees with white stockings underneath. I looked very plain, yet elegant. My hair was elaborately curled and a hairpin held my grown-out bangs back. They brought me backstage with Marvel, who was in a pale blue suit that matched my dress.

"You look beautiful," he greeted me.

"I look like a coal miner," I said and wrinkled my nose.

"That's the point," Aunt Johanna said from behind me. "Now go, guys. Please the crowd with your Victorship."

"Is that even a word?" I teased.

"Shut up," She countered. The doors of the Justice Building opened and we stepped out. Wild applause rang out and cheers ripped through the crowd. They didn't really care about us, they were just angry Katniss and her lover, Peeta, didn't come back. And they had every right to be angry.

The mayor of 12 began a long speech about the Games and our bravery and how we were able to win and stand here right now. Marvel launched into our acceptance speech and I made the mistake of looking over to the platform with Katniss' family on it.

There was an older woman with blonde hair streaked with grey. It was held up in a hair clip and she was hunched over in grief. Next to her stood a little girl who looked about twelve. She had long blonde hair done in two braids, and both she and her mother were as skinny as skeletons. They were starving.

I recognized the young girl as Primrose, the girl Katniss volunteered for. She met my eyes with her solemn brown ones and her lip trembled. It was almost enough to bring tears to my eyes. Marvel nudged me and I opened my mouth to say my part of the speech.

I remembered Katniss. She was the strongest warrior in her entire district, yet she was compassionate. She was willing to save that little girl from District 11, Rue, but in the end, unable to save her or herself. Just like I was unable to save Silas. My voice shook as I finished talking, and Marvel's hand encircled mine comfortingly, and he squeezed my hand gently.

We went back inside the Justice Building and to the celebratory dinner. Aunt Johanna and Ezre, as co-mentors, sat next to each other and talked and laughed throughout the meal, but nobody except me saw them holding hands under the table. Then again, Marvel and I were doing the same thing.

After the dinner, we went back to the train and I changed into sweatpants and a tank top. Marvel also changed and met me on the couch. I put my feet up and leaned against him. He put his arm around me and held me to his side.

Under our mentors' orders, we watched the recap of our performance in District 12 and thought about things we could do better in District 11. When my on-screen self made eye contact with Prim, I looked away. I couldn't stand to watch anymore.

Instead, I thought about how many things had changed since I was stabbed that day in the alley. Jade had become much fonder of Marvel, who had gained his self-confidence back. Jaxon and Sander were the best of friends, for the most part inseparable. Jade and Sander were very cautious about what they said and did, especially when it came to me. They were wary about being related to two Victors.